1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Thanks for this, but I don't have a WSJ account and got cut off just as it was about to make its argument that despite how it might appear, opposing the AT&T/Time Warner merger and trashing Net Neutrality aren't wildly inconsistent positions. I must admit I'm quite intrigued by (albeit skeptical of) what the writer has cooked up.

I can see a lot of sides on the merger. I do find it credible that plenty of career folks in the antitrust division now regret allowing the Comcast/NBCUniversal merger, and don't want to make the same mistake with AT&T/Time Warner. (Thanks for your links on that.) If I'm AT&T, though, I would feel that was unfair, since they already allowed a major competitor to do it. And if I'm Comcast, as @daemon argued, I fight it with all I've got in order to, in effect, pull up the ladder behind them.

But I continue to be extremely skeptical of the motivations of this administration, in choosing this one area to throw a bone to the career employees that they typically treat with disdain in most agencies as "Obama holdovers," given that it overlaps with Trump's clear animus to CNN. And that is reinforced by the links elsewhere on this thread in which New York's AG has evidence that much of the "support" to get rid of net neutrality during the FCC's period to solicit public feedback in fact came from bots, many of which impersonated real people. Yet the FCC has reportedly refused to cooperate in his investigation and potential prosecution. Because hey, what's a little identity fraud and cybercrime as long as it supports what the administration wants to do? That dovetails IMO with so much of what this administration and the GOP in general have done – downplay Russia's election interference, downplay the Moore allegations, just root root root for the home team.

2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

No idea what this even means to us.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

It's pretty simple; you're going to pay to access your favorite websites just like you have to pay to access your favorite TV channels on cable. Yay, shareholders! Yay, distribution of wealth!

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Seek help, YF. I really thought this was all just you playing a game, but this one makes even me think you've lost it.

WCIBN likes this.
  5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

6. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Giving away information for free can have unintended consequences, no?

7. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

That's odd. When we didn't have "net neutrality" before, none of that happened.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Wait a second. In an article full of leaks determined to make Trump look bad, they decided not to lay the blame for the guy’s death at Trump’s feet?

Do we need anything else to convince us he’s alive and well?

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Meh. Who needs facts? YF has a guess that he likes!

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

They know when to keep their mouths shut unlike your comerade at 1600.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Happy Thanksgiving guys

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.