1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Thanksgiving 2017

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Nov 21, 2017.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I talked to a guy from Canada today. Wished him a Happy Thanksgiving, though I acknowledged he already celebrated it. He asked me "You know why Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving? I guessed, "Because they're not Americans? He said "You've heard the joke." We laughed.

doctorquant and HC like this.
  2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

@doctorquant’s Thanksgiving amuse-bouche ... SonOfQuant, on the guitar and singing, at the top of his lungs, “Bye, Bye, Lil Sebastian” ... Life’s good, I’m tellin’ ya ...

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Happy Thanksgiving to all. I'll echo what many others say about being thankful for family, health, still-in-the-business-for-now job, etc.

I'm working this year, we eat dinner early, and then I take leftovers with me.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

My grandparents lived in Portville, NY, and we went there every TG. They had cable long before we did, from the Rigas's (founders of Adelphia) in nearby Coudersport, Pa. Anyway, we always watched the Iona Prep-New Hyde Park football game before dinner, which was always at 1 p.m. THis was in the late 1960s, early 1970s. Do they even play that game any more?

5. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I have a sister-in-law I could totally see doing that. She and her husband (it's the husband, mainly) make more money than the other two sisters and husbands combined. (I know I don't own a quarter-interest in an airplane.) But maybe that's why they've got as much money as they do, because she does/is capable of doing something like this.

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

It is 7:45 Thanksgiving morning and I'm eating leftover turkey and mashed potatoes for breakfast. We served our Turkish local staff lunch on Tuesday and I took some home. I also ate it last night. Was going to save this last bit for lunch, but I figured since I'm eating with friends at 6 p.m. that might be overkill.

I do have the duty phone again so I'll be dealing with very stupid Americans the whole day. But if they're not stupid Americans, they're in emergency situations so I'll take stupid.

Happy Thanksgiving, y'all!

Vombatus and TigerVols like this.
  7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Happy Thanksgiving all. Eating in the evening after putting in about 6 hours at work, meaning I'll happily avoid the NFL's Thanksgiving turkeys.

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

you mean New Rochelle? Ray Rice's' alma mater.

School Football; Iona's Victory Brightens a 20th Reunion

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Iona Prep-New Rochelle.

Edit: @cjericho beat me to it. Three of my brothers went to Iona Prep, and the youngest was a captain on the football team.

Doesn’t look like they’re playing this year. The game continued for decades, but more recently playoff games interferes with the scheduling.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    cjericho likes this.
  10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

By stupid, I presume you mean your boss, Rexxon?

JK; thanks for your tireless service representing the good our nation can still provide.

Donny in his element likes this.
  11. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Me too. Very thankful for a wife who has put up with me for almost 25 years and a mom, dad and sisters who are always there for me, even though we live far apart. And I'm actually thankful to be working later today because it means I still have a job as a newspaper copy editor in my late 50s.

But I'm also thankful that 10 days from now, I'll be interviewing with a stable, growing company for a job that will enable me to continue to utilize my editing skills for as long as I wish to continue my career without the constant threat of cutbacks and layoffs. If it comes through, it indeed will be a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    I Should Coco and Baron Scicluna like this.
  12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

No. She adores her Turkish staff, but has contempt for her fellow Americans, who happen to be traveling/working/living in Turkey.

Draft saved Draft deleted