1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 college football coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I agree. If I'm Auburn, I give Malzahn whatever the hell he wants to keep him there.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I do think there is a difference. Some schools have "one great moment" a five year burst when they were good (perhaps they were rampantly violating the rules) - and fans figure that is "normal" - like the one great golf shot you hit, while all of the others were mistakes.

Texas A&M has always been a runner-up and it seems they figured the Johnny football era was their "new normal."
    LSU has historically underachieved.
    UCLA clearly has a baseline of their success.

And these programs all seem focused on winning a press conference when they hire a coach to appease donors.
    I was under the impression that the Franklin hire was not a popular choice by Penn State fans, and yet it has turned out quite well.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

LSU is a great example. To hear them talk they have been at or near the pinnacle of the SEC forever. Then you look at the record book and you wonder what the hell they've been smoking.

4. DanOregon

They have a strange habit of running off their best coaches. Dietzel, Saban and Miles and letting McLendon survive for 18 years despite only one conference title.

5. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

It's interesting because none of those three was without some quirk.

Franklin was considered a gameday failure and recruiter by a lot of folks through six games of this third season.
    Carroll was what? A fourth choice?
    Stoops was a good, defense-first coach, but he brought the Mike Leach Air Raid to the big time, and ended up with an oddly understated career that included launching a lot of offensive guys' careers.

Basically, this sport never stops being weird.

6. DanOregon

Just look at the current top 10 coaches (view at time of hire)
    Bama - Saban - HR
    Miami - Richt - Sentimental choice, potential upgrade though could be washed up
    Clemson - Swinney - A freaking interim hire - a position coach no less (he's been gold).
    Oklahoma - Riley - Orchestrated succession with no other options. He's on a short leash.
    Wisconsin - Chryst - Former OC who maintained mediocrity at Pitt, he will keep the trains running and do what Barry says.
    Auburn - Malzahn - Former OC with success at first HC job.
    Georgia - Smart - DC on National Champ Bama, top assistant from top team. Muschamp 2.0?
    Notre Dame - Kelly - THE hot coach at the time, success in the Midwest and he's Irish. He's perfect!
    Ohio State - Meyer - HR
    Penn State - Franklin - He won nine games twice at Vandy and he's from PA - still.....he's only beat one ranked team.

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

We all kind of scratched our head when Barry wanted Chryst back. Pitt is certainly with its issues but he made some real head scratcher decisions during games.

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I don’t think Arkansas is any less of a fishbowl job than Auburn is. The boosters may be a smidge more patient, but that’s about it. Plus, Arkansas doesn’t have a permanent AD yet.

The Razorbacks will have to make it worth his while ($$$ and multiple years) to get Gus to bolt. Malzahn was on the hill before and knows what he’d be getting into, so he’ll have his price.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

He's a pretty good coach. Good guy. He'd take the job, no questions asked, for a reasonable salary. Scores high with Wisconsin HS coaches, which supposedly Andersen didn't (although I suspect some of that is bad-mouthing by Alvarez). And he'll put up with Alvarez's micromanaging shit, at least publicly.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

He’s a very good dude. Haven’t heard one bad word about him from people who met him.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I have a big-money booster source at the top-25 school I cover who said UCLA's problem is they won't let the coach pay assistants enough to live anywhere near the campus. They're all commuting from 60-90 minutes away. It's why any coach there has a hard time getting and keeping good assistants and it's one thing Kelly is trying to get concessions on.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Plus, there's no money for upgraded facilities. It's why Fisher turned them down cold last year, even though they were going to meet his salary demands. They either can't raise the money or won't and they've cut state taxes so much to the bone that LSU has budget problems. It's one reason Joe Alleva held his breath until he turned blue and threw a temper tantrum over not losing a home game last year when they had the postpone the Florida game. -- LSU literally can't afford to miss one Saturday of revenue.

Donny in his element likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted