1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Table for 6......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

In between mentioning point spreads for that week's game, Musburger will keep looking at pictures of your wife and remarking how hot she is.
    No matter what food is served, Rafferty will try to be funny by saying, "You know what would make this better? ONIONS!"
    Al Michaels will tell stories about how he was a background player in getting every caterer in the city's business going.
    McEnroe will complain about the food and want to fight Rafferty after the 45th "ONIONS!" joke.
    Klosterman will sit there smirking and stroking his stupid hipster beard, and thinking, "This will make for a good essay."

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Red Auerbach
    Vince Lombardi
    John Wooden
    Casey Stengel
    Howard Cosell

3. manky_jimy

manky_jimy Active Member

Derek Jeter
    Andy Pettitte
    Mariano Rivera
    Jorge Posada
    Bernie Williams

Buck likes this.
  4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Steffi Graf
    Elena Dementieva
    Olga Korbut
    Peyton Manning
    Boris Spassky

Vombatus likes this.
  5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Very valid. I think I went with Sanderson and Belmonte because they seem like they're the current larger-than-life figures in their respective endeavors.

I was still tempted to go with Eldrick Woods over Spieth.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

In no particular order:

Magic Johnson -- just so many things to talk about, the least of which, probably, would be basketball.

Martina Navratilova -- a terrific conversationalist, about practically anything, although I agree with BTExpress that Graf and Dementieva , along with Rafael Nadal and even Mary Pierce, actually, would be excellent guests, too.

Steve Cauthen -- just someone I always followed from a young age (for me). I like the topics of horse racing and family, and would like to talk to him about both, particularly given his odd, interesting career trajectory.

Marta Karolyi -- the less talkative/known, but probably the more influential, half of a sport's power couple.

Shaun White -- would like to get inside the mind of someone able to do the kinds of things he does -- given my fear of heights and failure to imagine myself doing anything remotely similar without having a heart attack -- who could speak to it in an articulate way.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Lee Trevino
    Bum Phillips
    Willie Shoemaker (admittedly because of the Cauthen pick above, and the stories he could tell)
    Ali
    Bill Russell

8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Marty Smith
    Aaron Rodgers
    Steve Kerr
    David Feherty
    Brad Stevens

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Pro wrestling version:

Vince McMahon
    Paul Heyman
    Dave Meltzer
    Jim Cornette
    CM Punk

Let the debates and arguments fly.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Cauthen is an inspired choice. I was 19 and a regular at the local OTB in 1977 when he was practically unbeatable at age 17. I was more of an Angel Cordero Jr. fan in those days, but Cauthen was incredible for a few years there.

I enjoyed the thought behind Shaun White, too.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Marty was on Deitsch's podcast a few weeks ago. He's an interesting dude.

12. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    Bill Russell
    Jim Bouton
    Martina Navratilova
    Steve Spurrier

Draft saved Draft deleted