1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

If is 2018 is his 2017? Yes. If he gets hurt or slumps, no.

2. Della9250

Since we have established the top five and this is a semi serious topic I would say 6-10 is Schang, Sanchez, Stanley, McCann and Ed Sweeney

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Ed Sweeney? Cerone once finished 7th in MVP voting and was on the team for 10 years. Advance Statistics make him look even worse, but his career WAR is over 8, much better than Sweeney

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Wynegar was better than either of them, but most of his best seasons were for the Twins. Had a couple of good ones for the Yankees. Turns out, Hassey never played a full season for NY. Pat Collins, who I remember because he was the regular in the 1927 lineup who wasn't famous, wasn't too good and didn't play long for them.

5. Della9250

That's the only year Cerrone actually did something productive as a starter. Other than that he stunk -- in seven years with the Yankees he played 147 games as his high, then 113. His other five years were never more than 89 games
    Sweeney was an above-average starter -- for his time -- for four years and split time as the starter in three other seasons before serving in World War I.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Roger Repoz has polished his speech and is just waiting for the call.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

No love for Charlie Silveira?

8. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

If Fran Healy’s not on your ballot, you should lose your vote.

9. Della9250

Well it's definitely an interesting one

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I am giving up my Hall of Fame vote because of Joe Morgan’s letter

Jeff Passan announces he is giving up his Hall of Fame vote because of Joe Morgan's letter.

I support Bonds, Clemens in the Hall because, while MLB may now be against them, my belief is it quietly supported the steroid-aided HR chase to bring fans back after the 1994 strike.

But Passan is overreacting, and should vote how he feels.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Why would he give up his vote because a well-known crank (albeit a very great baseball player once upon a time) issued a statement which as far as I can tell has no overt institutional support? Why give Joe that power? Make the SOBs keep those guys out if that's what they want. Very silly.

12. Della9250

I'm a Bonds and Clemens supporter for the simple fact that they were not punished by MLB for doing anything wrong, MLB hasn't put an asterisk or vacated their records or awards and the last couple of elections have put the commissioner and managers, who had to know something and did nothing, in for their success while the players are the ones to suffer.

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted