1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor -- South Florida Sun Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by David Selig, Sep 26, 2017.

1. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

I'm sure some Herald ASE types are in the running for this. Wondering if Rojas now becomes a candidate, too.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

There is no doubt about the former part of that. Don't know about the latter after this week's news, but it certainly changes the dynamics of things.

3. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

The Herald had so many layoffs in recent years, I wonder if they currently have any assistant sports editor(s).

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Would be a hoot to see my former supervisor, laid off in Lauderdale in 2009 and now a slot at the Herald, get the job.

5. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Yeah, the way it went down, sounds like Rojas had a sense it was coming and maybe that's why S-S hadn't done anything yet. Who knows. Pure speculation on my part as to S-S side of it.
    Those papers just need to merge and get it over with.

6. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Interviewed with Rojas and his then-boss many years ago (ultimately turning down their offer) and he expressed a lot of admiration for the Sun Sentinel. Of course, this was when the Sun Sentinel had huge sports sections and was winning APSE triple crowns.

Could see him going there -- but then again, Dave Tepps of the Palm Beach Post had been let go and was available the last time the Sun Sentinel job was open. He seemed like a logical candidate, but I'm not sure he was even considered.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The Herald today moved their night operations editor and a former sports staffer to replace Rojas.

8. Fran Curci

Anyone hear anything?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  9. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

your hyrd

10. Fran Curci

corrected spelling. Hell of a catch, Ron. You're hired!

11. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Ive heard through a friend that they’ve made a hire.

12. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

AWSM tweeted that Kathy Laughlin was promoted to sports editor at Sun-Sentinel.

Draft saved Draft deleted