1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Fox reloads pretty quickly without missing a beat

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I will say this. It is long over due. Cronkite was done at CBS at 65. Steve Kroft is 72, Leslie Stahl, 75; Bill Whitaker 66; and Pelley 60. Rose is 75, Andrea Mitchell is 71. Rita Braver 68. Brokaw 77.
    Not trying to be ageist, just that nobody is irreplaceable. Hell, anyone hear anything from Bill O'Reilly, 68: lately?

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I guess he received some criticism for that tweet.

4. YankeeFan

Eh, you should have seen what was said about her here.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Re: Ambra Battilana Gutierrez

Before the Weinstein thing. ...For those who don't actually know anything about her. ... She took part in taking down Italian PM Silvio Berlusconi during his sex / prostitute scandal, and her testimony was tabloid fodder in Italy. At the trial, she testified about one of his "bunga bunga" parties that she was at (she said she was shocked by what she saw, not there to participate). On cross examination she had to testify that while she was still a minor she had sued a 70-year-old Italian businessman for sexual assault. The man himself admitted the relationship (saying it was consensual -- i.e. the Italian Roy Moore), but said he had paid her with jewels, a car, and that he had financed her when she was a contestant in the Miss Italy pageant. Which may be where talk of "prostitution" came from from David Boies in that new Ronan Farrow story.

Boies says that the DA in NY didn't proceed because they had concluded that she had engaged in prostitution in Italy. That may or may not be true. Given how corrupt Cyrus Vance is, and the amount of money going into his coffers from various people trying to buy the justice they want, that could be a giant slander that they used to come up with a reason to not prosecute.

But that comment when this broke that I made about her being "Zelig-like" when it comes to her and men 3 times her age who then show their stripes when they get alone with her, the one that YF and the Mickey Mouse club have been stalking the board with going on 1400 posts now? ... She took down a former prime minister with her testimony in his sex / sleazeball scandal. She sued a wealthy businessman who was 50+ years older than her for sexual assault (he says it was consensual and he was buying her stuff the whole time). And then ended up alone with Harvey Weinstein, perhaps the most powerful man in Hollywood at the time, and we know where that went.

I know on here, bully-like pile ons and endless mischaracterizations are de rigeuer, and the people who do it overwhelm everyone with volume -- because they are posting on here all day long like it is their job. But it is possible that Harvey Weinstein acted like Harvey Weinstein with her (including the non disclosure / million dollar settlement that was part of his MO). ... AND she was very opportunistic when it came to certain types of men.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  7. Dick Whitman

Now do Leeann Tweeden.

8. YankeeFan

You were so close.

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Or maybe you just said something stupid.

JC likes this.
  10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Actually, one correction to my post. The guy she accused of rape wasn't the only one saying he was buying her stuff in return for her sleeping with him. She did too, apparently. Also, she was old enough at the time for Italian law to make it OK for him to sleep with her. ... even if she was a kid and he was 70. What would have been illegal under Italian law would have been him having sex with a prostitute her age.

Take it for what it is worth, because it was the Daily Mail. ... but this was from the time: Ambra Battilana also accused her former lover of rape in Italy four years ago | Daily Mail Online

The stuff they rereported also comes from Il Giornale, which is owned by the Berlusconi family. But they said her quotes came from her statement to the police.

Prosecutors in Italy asked for the rape allegation to be dismissed in 2012 but it was not reported whether the judge granted the dismissal although it is likely it would have been carried out.

In 2012, the Alba prosecutor told Italian newspaper, Corriere della Sera, that Miss Battilana never showed up to talk to them about her police complaint so they were unable verify her claims.

Miss Battilana met the wealthy, car dealer in September 2009 when she was under 18 and therefore below the age of consent for prostitution in Italy, according to Italian newspaper reports.

The age of sexual consent is 14 in Italy but it is illegal to pay for sex or to have sex with a prostitute who is under the age of 18.

The Italian newspaper, Il Giornale, quoted from her 2010 police statement, where she recalled meeting the businessman at an organized dinner.

The statement read: 'He invited me to ride in his car. Upset by the invitation because of my inexperience and very young age, he induced me to accept out of politeness.

'To my enormous embarrassment he began to ask me questions about my sexual preferences and to tell me about his erotic fantasies.

'Then as he started to caress my hand and left leg, he proposed that I become his "playmate" and before I could oppose he gave me a bag with €2,000. He assured me that it was only an advance of the €5,000 he would give me every month.'

She added: 'Despite the indecency of the proposal, both because of my psychological subjection in which I found myself and because of the severe poverty of my family I felt forced against my will not to refuse the money.

'From that time on he began to demand sexual relations in compensation for the cash which happened once a week. I did not have the strength to get out of the vicious circle.'

According to reports in Il Giornale, Miss Battilana's statement continued that a few days later 'the businessman took me to an apartment in his possession... under his domination, I went in'.

She told the police that the businessman began to 'to violate my every wish'.

Afterwards, she received €2,000. Ten days later, the same thing happened and she received another €2,000 and the relationship continued in this manner.

She said: 'With the money received I helped my mother and bought designer clothes, bags, shoes, furs, jewelry and more.'

At Christmas, the 70-year-old spent €5000 on her at a large clothing store.

'I continued to feel uncomfortable about the situation', she said. But she got an apartment in the city center in which everything was paid for with the businessman's money, Il Giornale claimed.

She said in her statement that she suffered the 'commodification of my person' and became 'aware of being used by a man who treated me like a prostitute'.

The relationship ended after she was accepted into the Miss Italia 2010 pageant.

Il Giornale newspaper is owned by the Berlusconi family.

Miss Battilana gave statements to Italian authorities about disgraced Italian prime minister, Silvio Berlusconi's 'bunga-bunga' orgies in 2010 to which she was invited as a Miss Italia contestant and aspiring model.

11. YankeeFan

Rose McGowan received a $100,000 settlement from Harvey Weinstein.

Sure, she was raped, but was she also opportunistic?

12. Dick Whitman

With all due respect, this strikes me as a bit of a silly criticism coming from you. I pop in throughout the day with a couple sentences, responding to posters, clarifying a debate point, etc. It's like having access to the most interesting water cooler group ever. You write 2,000-word screeds. And that's not a criticism - your posts are thought-out and often interesting and when I have the time to read them, I often learn something. But your style takes time, too.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.