1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Girl scouts warn parents about forcing kids to hug relatives for the holidays'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The organization says that, instead, parents should encourage their daughters to show gratitude in ways "that do not require physical contact, including . . . a high-five."

Girl Scouts warn parents about forcing kids to hug relatives for the holidays

Girl Scouts of the USA issued a warning to parents this holiday season, asking them to think twice before forcing their daughters to hug relatives at gatherings.

“Think of it this way, telling your child that she owes someone a hug either just because she hasn’t seen this person in a while or because they gave her a gift can set the stage for her questioning whether she ‘owes’ another person any type of physical affection when they have bought her dinner or done something else seemingly nice for her later in life,” reads the post on the Girl Scouts’ website.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

OMG

or even an air kiss are all ways she can express herself

If my dad were still alive, this would kill him.

3. Dick Whitman

The high-five thing is a total mindfuck, though.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Wait till they find out the high five originated in gay disco clubs, though.

5. Dick Whitman

It was considered the safest kind of sex, seeing as it does not require physical contact.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This is what won the election for Trump/YF

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

We’ve become the country that was parodied in Demolition Man.

Have a joy-joy day!

[​IMG]

SFIND and Batman like this.
  8. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

This has been around for years.

9. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I have a 6-year-old niece who doesn't like giving hugs on command, and she's been shy about giving them since she was two or three.

Thankfully my sister doesn't force her to give them and everyone in the family has learned to cherish it when she is in the mood. I've done the high five thing with her for years because of it. Watching her has made me see that forcing a kid into that kind of contact if it doesn't feel right to the kid is just wrong.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

As much as I think requiring a license should be required before being allowed to have kids - I know enough to know that telling people what they should and shouldn't do with their kids is a no-fly zone.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  11. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I'm down to try the helmet sex, but I'm not OK with every restaurant being Taco Bell.

Also, at this point, I'll take Schwarzenegger as president.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted