1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rainman, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah. It's pretty much time filler until we get into Wrestlemania season.

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I forgot how smooth Paige is in her interviews. The girl is nuckin futts but it's glaring how much more comfortable she is speaking compared to Banks or Bayley. Glad she's back should add needed layers to the womens division.

Altho with Asuska and Nia looming I'm not sure someone didn't need to end up on Smackdown instead.

3. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

With Survivor Series just ending, I thought it would be an interesting time to discuss speculation about the main event(s) of WrestleMania. Before everything has been spoiled ahead of time, haha.

Who would you like to see facing off for each title? Who do you think will win the Royal Rumble? Outside of what seems plausible, what would your dream booking of the title and other featured matches be?

4. JimmyHoward33

After he saved the last two shows, they're completely insane if they don't close Mania with AJ Styles. Against anybody. Nakamura, Owens or Cena would be my top 3 choices assuming it has to be someone currently on Smackdown.

That said it'll be Roman freakin Reigns again. Roman and Lesnar are capable of putting on a good match, just not as good as Styles just did. Roman's a LOT better with Seth and Dean around him so if they stick with the Shield for the next four months he might finally get a pop when he closes Mania for the 4th year in a row.

I think a Smackdown star wins the Rumble because I think Roman's been cemented against Lesnar at Mania for 14 months and I don't think they have the gall to let Roman win a Rumble in Philly again. Although I could see some kind of Bret/Luger thing with Seth and Dean that leads to a Shield triple threat at the February PPV where, naturally, Roman looks strong.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I liked the Bludgeon Brothers' debut, but Kane is going to be pissed when he finds out they stole his gear bag.

[​IMG]

6. JimmyHoward33

Liv Morgan as a heel alongside Ruby Riot is.....interesting.

Tommy_Dreamer likes this.
  7. Baron Scicluna

Agree with this. They're not going to have Reigns win the Rumble for a third year in a row. I'm thinking they could have Nakamura win, and challenge Styles for the title. They won't have that be the WM main event, though, because they'll do something like you say, with a Shield triple threat that'll give Reigns the win and the main event spot with Lesnar.

I'm wondering, though, what they'll do with Cena. He's been essentially a part timer for the last year-plus, and they'd have to find something for him to do.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  8. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Prediction: Cena breaks Flair's "record" at 'Mania. The only question will be if he's taking the belt from Lesnar or Styles. My bet is they have him beat Styles. He'll come back and win the Rumble and then get Styles, and they'll play the whole Cena's-a-part-timer thing again and Styles and him will tear the building down with a great match and Cena will get the win to break the record.

9. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Two 3-women factions debut on back-to-back nights. I know they were hyping up the 5th anniversary of The Shield, but that seems a bit much ...

10. JimmyHoward33

Hmm...forgot about Cenas record but that is probably happening.

If its not Styles for the title, Id like to see Cena vs Rollins, Nakamura or Jericho.

Cena-Ambrose is an interesting option. I personally think it would disappoint but it would look good on the poster and its new.

11. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Man, they missed a great "cash-in" spot there for Carmella. It was almost screaming for it. Make her be the "leader" of that faction, thanks to NXT ties etc. I'm not sure she's strong enough to stand on her own. Would've been a great replacement for Ellsworth.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  12. Baron Scicluna

Speaking of wrestlers dealing with major health issues, it's not looking good for Kamala. He's on life support.

WWE Star Kamala on Life Support After Undergoing Emergency Surgery

He was one of those wrestlers that played their gimmick incredibly well. He lost his legs due to diabetes a few years ago and was having financial problems. Hope for the best, but it's not looking good.

Draft saved Draft deleted