1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yes. Put it into proper context, but yes.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The ADL, before the rally, described the rally organizers as white supremacists, but they note that they were selling it as a "Unite the Right" -- which was the name they gave it -- and a "free speech rally".

The predicted scale of this event is confirmation that white supremacists and the extreme right are feeling emboldened by the current political climate, and by some of the rhetoric deployed during the 2016 presidential campaign. It’s also an indicator of how successful the alt right has been in selling their brand of white supremacy, and normalizing bigotry and hatred under benign labels and slogans like “Unite the Right” and “Free Speech Rally.”

“Unite the Right” Rally Could Be Largest White Supremacist Gathering in a Decade

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I note that the people who wrote the lede for the advance story you quote weren't confused about who the demonstrators would be:

A variety of white supremacists, self-identified white nationalists and others on the extreme right are gearing up for the “Unite the Right” rally on August 12 in Charlottesville, Virginia.

And people who buy into a re-branded or "normalized" version of bigotry and white supremacy are still bigots and white supremacists.

4. Dick Whitman

Including "others on the extreme right."

5. Dick Whitman

I get it. We want to be able to attribute atrocious comments to Trump. I mean, we know he thinks that way!

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

“Others on the extreme right” is code for white nationalists who try to hide that fact

7. RickStain

We get it. Overparsing sentences to make arguments is how we feel a sense of self-worth otherwise lacking.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  8. RickStain

False burden of proof

9. Dick Whitman

I thought that's why we join adult men's hockey leagues?

10. RickStain

You should try that one instead of parroting now-Nazi public relations talking points.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  11. Dick Whitman

I actually think it's cool. My brother was in one for a while. Good for you.

12. RickStain

I’m between leagues right now. I was gonna play pickup Sunday morning when I discovered that the rat that has eluded two exterminator calls in three weeks was doing so by hiding in my gear bag.

Bright side, for Christmas I get to reenact the hockey store scene from Mighty Ducks

Dick Whitman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.