1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rainman, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Plus, he'll be booked on the indies for months/years to come. Duane Gill/Gillberg got to ride this wave for a while.

2. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

That two-timing ...

Baron Scicluna and Tommy_Dreamer like this.
  3. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Patrick Clark might be the face of this company in 5 years. Great great great match with Alistair Black just now. Kid is gigantic, he can go, and he can play a character. Impressive to say the least.

Tommy_Dreamer likes this.
  4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I thought he handed that to Carmella?

War Games was a surprisingly fun show. I had tempered expectations, particularly for the main event, since a) it wasn't a traditional WG/TMB, and b) they hadn't really fleshed out the issues that all three teams had with each other, whereas Jim Crockett-era matches had two teams in which everyone hated everyone else with perfect enmity. But they made up for it with a ton of blood (is Alexander Wolfe alive?) and violence, and in the end, isn't that all we ever wanted?

Can you say a match stole the show when everyone expected that it would? Regardless, Patrick Clark has taken what could easily have been a cringeworthy character in Velveteen Dream and turned him into something special in short order, and his match with Aleister Black definitely lived up to the hype. Respectful-opponents team in the next Dusty Classic?

The women's four-way match was good, but what a dick move to have Asuka, the unbeatable monster of NXT, award the belt to Ember Moon, the woman she beat multiple times. It just screamed condescending, especially since that was a large part of Asuka's character in her final months there. Maybe Asuka comes in as a surprise challenger for the next Takeover to take the title just because she can, and Moon finally gets that win over her? Because otherwise it feels more like "hey, here's the second-stringer getting her chance because the starter's graduating" and it makes it harder to take her (or anyone who lost to Asuka) seriously as a result.

Shocked that they pulled the title off McIntyre so soon and to Almas, but given that he tore his bicep in the match, a fortuitous booking decision. Can't imagine Almas is a long-term champion, but adding edge to his character and Zelina Vegas by his side has made him infinitely more interesting. Not sure who the next opponent is. Black? Roddy Strong? Maybe James Storm comes back here?

I know Adam Cole Bay-Bee and ReDragon are these indie workrate gods and all, but I have not been particularly impressed with them in NXT. They were part of a great match but arguably a tertiary part of it, despite winning. And I get why they didn't want to put a roof on the cage (too reminiscent of HIAC), but the leave-the-cage-and-you-forfeit stipulation was clunky at best and illogical at worst. None of the teams involved showed any inclination to run from the fight, and since it's no-DQ, it's not like you have to leave it to find plunder.

Good show, as these tend to be. Survivor Series, which I think started at 10 a.m., has a high bar to clear.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  5. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Agree completely about Cole and friends. And the name undisputed "era" is really dumb.

Wondering if there's a chance Styles beats Lesnar? Feels like Smackdown needs a win somewhere since the women's match feels like an asuska showcase and the men's Raw just seems to have much better people. Charlotte will probably beat Bliss and Usos will probably win but 2 midcard don't offset potentially losing both tags....

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

The only thing I'd want to bet money on is Lesnar over Styles - excluding a DQ or countout finish - with Charlotte over Bliss a close second, since they have that Starrcade event coming up.

7. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

Survivor Series should deliver tonight. Hoping we can get some good discussion going tonight.

8. Rainman

Good way to open Survivor Series. They were given about 30 minutes to showcase their talent and they didn’t disappoint. I can’t wait for Big E to get a World Title run.

9. Rainman

Asuka dominating was the most predictable thing that was going to happen tonight.

10. Rainman

The Usos and The Bar are the best tag teams since Edge and Christian/Hardy’s/Dudley’s.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Fun show so far. No real surprises yet.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

One thing though, that still annoys me is that they're keeping score. All great and all, but what does the winning brand get?

Draft saved Draft deleted