1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Well excuuuuuseeee meeeeeee

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Nov 17, 2017.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Do you mean this?

Throw out your hands
    Stick out your tush
    Hands on your hips
    Give 'em a push
    You'll be surprised
    You're doing the French Mistake!
    Voila!

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Textbook cultural appropriation.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

“Fast Times at Ridgemont High” was one mentioned on another thread as highly objectionable.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Get 'em, girls!

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Hearing how Blazing Saddles and The Jerk couldn't be made today helps me understand why it's been so long since I've seen a movie that genuinely made me laugh.

Sorry, Hollywood, but Seth Rogan's 3975th penis joke doesn't do it for me.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    Dick Whitman likes this.
  6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

He’s making manic faces, doing a jerky spastic dance and making dumb puns.

Your generation does not get to take the high road on comedy quality.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

If there’s anyone who comes across as the board cut-up, it’s @RickStain!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    YankeeFan likes this.
  8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

This is stupid.

I never thought the King Tut song was funny, but as I recall it coincided with some King Tut touring exhibition that was receiving an inordinate amount of publicity at the time. It was satire, dumb perhaps, but satire.

People are apparently running out of things to find offensive.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

1) That King Tut song was hysterical. ... when you were 11 years old in 1979.
    2) As you said, the Tut exhibit was a huge cultural phenomenon when it toured the U.S. It is up there with disco and Roots, when you try to do a "cultural" wrap up of the late 70s. I think that is really lost on people too young to have been around then. The exhibition broke museum attendance records and spawned whole cottage industries from collectibles to T shirts to Bloomingdales selling Tut jewelry and housewares and linens. That Steve Martin song went platinum. The last stop alone at the Met in NYC blew up into something crazy. The advance ticket sales sold out in hours, and scalpers were treating tickets to the exhibition the way Hamilton tickets were treated recently.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

If you say that, I'm guessing you didn't find too much of Martin's earlier work to be funny.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I didn't mean it that way. I think Steve Martin was funny. Way more funny than I later found him during his "dad humor "days. But I also know that when The Jerk came out, I was 11 years old. I didn't mean anything more than that.

Also, if you categorize that earlier work as Steve Martin's SNL days. ... I wouldn't find "I am a wild and crazy guy" quite as funny now, for example, as I did then. But in the Studio 54 days, that was a lot sillier and funny than someone who was born later could get.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

That's what I meant, Ragu. The album on which I "discovered" him, "Let's Get Small," had a very silly, removed-from-reality feel.

Draft saved Draft deleted