1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

(Bill James’s) War on WAR

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by lcjjdnh, Nov 18, 2017.

1. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Judge and Altuve | Articles | Bill James Online

Additional context from JosPos

More on WAR

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Win Shares sucked, Bill. Get over it.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

So does WAR.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

So does baseball, to be honest

5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Bill James is Willie Mays flopping around centerfield for the Mets. It was a good run but it's over.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Don't different seamheads have different "recipes" for WaR? I think the best stats (and science) doesn't depend on one person's particular emphasis.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That sure was a lot of words to agree with the decision of an overwhelming majority of selected American League baseball beat writers, to wit, Altuve more valuable than Judge in 2017. Bill's still a good writer, but this essay represents my major quarrel with baseball's new (not so new now) math. So many times it's used to demonstrate what's obvious to anyone who watches baseball and is presented as startling new information to boot. For the record, fans of the 1974 A's (I lived in Oakland in '73 and became a fan) did not dismiss their team's crappy hitting as unimportant. They knew the A's won because of power hitting with Jackson and Bando to supplement the best pitching staff in the majors.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I can go on and on about why WAR is to statistics what camels are to snails. The WAR measurements various people created have inherent human biases (something statistics tries to avoid) built into them. I won't go into it -- I have on here and it doesn't lend itself to message board soundbites. But aside from that, whether what they created is actually a meaningful way to measure baseball performance, it self admittedly is trying take timing and context out of measuring that player performance. ... I personally find that a waste of time, because baseball is played by humans. I can't think of things that matter more in an MVP discussion than context and timing.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

In 2005, it was “obvious” to people who wrote about baseball for a living that Bartolo Colon was better than Johan Santana and Mark Buehrle.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I was accusing James of beating a dead horse. Seems to be a thing with the numbers crowd.

11. Dick Whitman

@Michael_ Gee, for you - and plenty of others - it always seems to come back to this: The “new” statistics don’t tell you enough. It is as if if they don’t tell you that Vance Law was actually better than George Brett, they aren’t useful. But they don’t and they have never laid stake to that claim. What they do is indicate pretty clearly that Johan Santana was actually degrees better than Bartolo Colon in 2005, to cite one of dozens of such examples. They indicate pretty clearly that Tim Raines was a Hall of Famer even though he could barely crack 20 percent in his early years on the ballot and walks didn’t even appear on baseball cards for much of his career, I’m guessing. They indicate that Avisail Garcia is much more likely to bat .270 next season than .330. Less than a generation ago, the White Sox would probably have rewarded his 2017 with a contract offer that would be an albatross for the better part of a decade.

When you say they don’t tell you much, what you are really saying is that you aren’t that interested in knowing that much. Colon and Santana were both good in ‘05. Why sweat the details? Albert Pujols is a Hall of Famer under any measurement and the BBWAA will get that right. If they get it wrong on a few marginal guys, why sweat that, either?

You have stacked the deck. No, Copernicus didn’t just re-model the solar system. But GMs win by exploiting the margins.

Big Circus, lakefront and lcjjdnh like this.
  12. Dick Whitman

I still like you, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted