1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football 2017 Week 12 running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 13, 2017.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I realize they had nothing to lose ... Notre Dame should have run Navy out of the stadium, but the Middies' D actually made a few stops.

The interception that ended the previous drive was even worse, I guess.

OK, enough option/military academy football talk until Dec. 9!:)

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Notre Dame came out with three straight passes today (three-and-out) in a downpour, thus setting the tone for a long grueling day. Along with last year’s throw-a-thon in hurricane conditions at NC State and getting a team manager killed on a scissor lift in gale-force conditions, I’m convinced Brian Kelly has never read a weather report.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Do you ever really see clipping anymore?

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And now we go to Ollie Williams for the weather report from Knoxville. Ollie?

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Mizzou up 21-0 at Vandy. After a 1-5 start, they would be bowl eligible with their fifth win in a row. Could also be the fifth in a row by 29+ points.

It’s impossible to overstate how clueless they looked against Purdue in September. I guess Barry Odom taught himself how to coach.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Ucla has been better in the first half but USC winning 14-7.

7. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Oh, crap. That was a hideous knee injury for the Ole Miss RB. :eek:

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Mizzou qualifies for a bowl, saving Barry Odom's job. The Tiggers need to finish the job and beat Arky on Friday, and then I'd like to see them lay wood on a school like Kansas State in a bowl. Mizzou needs all the recruiting help it can get by continuing to win.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing.

10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I'm down in San Diego, and got too see the Aztecs live for the first time in a few years. SDSU won 42-23 behind a great performance by Rashaad Penny. He rushed for two TDs (one of which after he rolled out left for a halfback option pass, couldn't find an open man and said 'Fuck it, I'll do it myself' and went right for the score), went 70 yards with the first punt return of his career, and ran back a kickoff for 100 yards to tie the FBS career record for KO return TDs.

However, one thing I wanted to touch on is that on another thread (I don't remember which), there was some discussion about see a game live that's being televised and what a pain it is to deal with the TV timeouts, and tonight I experienced it first-hand. A pretty entertaining game started at 7:30 p.m. and got done shortly before 11:30 and it seemed to come to a standstill every 5 minutes and the timeouts to last interminably long. SDSU had their share of game broadcast on TV when I was going to school there, but I don't remember it being as annoying as tonight.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I know Mayfield is the supposed lock for the Heisman, to me he's just another QB racking up numbers in conference that doesn't play defense. That he's kind of a jerk and probably going to be a terrible NFL pro only makes it easier. I'd give it to Bryce Love.

Though I do think Mayfield's "Heisman House" ads could be fantastic:
    "Hey Baker, in THIS house we put the flag on the flag pole. You're messing up the LAWN!"
    "Manzeil, got any tips for me?" Just you be you Baker. It will work out fine."
    "I keep getting mail addressed to Troy Smith. Who is Troy Smith?"

Kind of amazing to think if Palmer and Bradford retire after this year, Mark Ingram will be the longest tenured Heisman winner in the NFL and there would be only five active Heisman winners in the NFL.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

So does the winner of the Apple Cup play USC in the Pac-12 title game or is Stanford in the mix. Asking for a friend on the East Coast who goes to bed early.

Draft saved Draft deleted