1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louis CK

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Nov 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Where is the line? Is it okay to go back and watch any of Bill Cosby's stuff?

I don't mean this to argue with anybody. I really am curious. Honestly, I don't really want to see anything by Louis CK or Bill Cosby right now. I'm not sure I will always feel that way, but it's how I feel now.

I've also found some discomfort in rooting for the Steelers with a dirtbag taking the snaps at quarterback. My daughter recently asked about getting a game jersey. I told her we'd consider it as long as it wasn't Roethlisberger. I never stopped rooting for the team, but I've never understood how anybody could wear his jersey again.

Iron_chet likes this.
  2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

No. It's more like watching OJ's football highlights. Which I've still done from time to time. Bet you have too.

Tons of brilliant artists have been fucked up people. We're still permitted to view their work.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

He got Jeremy Renner to be in an episode in which Louie tells the story of when he started smoking pot as a 13-year-old.

Renner has got such an "It" screen presence.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Wait, we won't have to start justifying ourselves? Phew!

5. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I don’t think we are permitted to watch Bill Cosby.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

cosby’s Persona is too entwined in his act. His moral superiority doesn’t work anymore.
    Phil Spector and Roman Polanski are artists we can still enjoy

7. outofplace

I don't think you remember Cosby's comedy correctly, but I do wonder if it is tougher to forget the person when viewing a comic because so much of who they are is a part of their work.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

We agree on being permitted to view their work.

But, in the process of doing so, you open yourself up to criticism for doing so. That was my point.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Criticism from whom? Can't say I care about criticism from anyone who'd criticize me on such silly grounds.

We still hail Wagner's genius, despite him being a hateful anti-semite. Child rapist Roman Polanski's films are still considered classics. Still love those songs by Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis and Michael Jackson, despite their alleged sexual pursuits of children. Oop still cheers for the morally degenerate Steelers.

Yet it's no longer morally acceptable to watch the past work of Louis CK? Fuck off to anyone making that noise.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    Double Down and SnarkShark like this.
  10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I kid you not: A Michael Jackson cartoon Halloween special debuted this year.

11. outofplace

Similar claims have been made on this site before. I'm certainly not making them. I'm just curious where others draw the line, or if they draw it at all.

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

That's what I tried to say to my gf. Didn't work!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.