1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Every minute that Al Franken remains in the United States Senate this morning is a nation's shame

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It has the same meaning with brothers as it would with lovers? Seriously?

2. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

bit of a stretch but...Gentleman's Agreement. Also you see it in older television where if someone was thought to be gay, it was an insult to be denied.
    Not everyone gets this kind of subtlety.

3. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

nah, married brings to mind an old married coupe. That might have been funny. lovers? definitely the gay thing.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Re-reading, I'll concede I erred in my wording. But substitute the word "point" for "meaning" in the second sentence and I stand by my words. Yes, the words are effectively interchangeable in terms of the point the sentence was intended to convey.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Okey dokey. I'm guessing if @YankeeFan had said "brothers," @Dick Whitman doesn't post a meme that literally says, "Those guys are f--s"—which, by the way, I think is an appalling thing to post here—but what do I know?

Pete likes this.
  6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Take it up with Sean Penn.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Well, in the interests of accuracy, I'd point out that Dick did not post that in response to YF posting the word lovers instead of brothers. Instead, he posted it in response to your post referencing gay jokes. So your suggestion that he posted it because of how he interpreted YF's post is not supported by our online record here.

And, fwiw, I must confess that I didn't find Dick's post to be appalling, as you did. To me, there's a difference between actually calling someone a f--, and posting a meme quoting Spicoli, a notoriously dimwitted pothead, in a well known scene from a classic 80s comedy. And I suspect most gay people would also recognize the obvious difference between those contrasting usages of the word.

But what do I know. Seems I've increasingly become an out of touch fogie.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I don't think that's a word that should be posted in 24-point font or whatever it is on this site. But it wasn't removed and no one else seems to object to it, so I guess I'm the only one who thinks so. That surprises me. I've been surprised before.

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

You think some words should be banned from here or banned everywhere?

Dick Whitman likes this.
  10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

LOL. “Horrible Bosses” OK, “Fast Times” out.

It’s getting very difficult to keep up.

11. Dick Whitman

You were probably surprised when AP changed the Sepp Blatter headline and lede, since my suggestion it do so outraged you.

12. Dick Whitman

Mrs. Whitman: “Someone posted a link that said the photographer said Tweeden was in on the joke. Is that true?”

Whitman: “As luck would have it, I know a guy ...”

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.