1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Third Quarter Revenues for the Largest Publishers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LanceyHoward, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

This is a good point. It's not just classifieds and the car ads or the real estate ads that are gone. It's had an impact on everything , some areas greater than others. But at some point, there will be nothing left to sustain newspapers.

2. TexasVet

TexasVet Active Member

I remember way, way, way back in the day when I was a kid, I always looked forward to the comics every day, especially on Sundays. There used to be something for everyone in the local papers. But this was back when I could collect enough change on the ground to buy me a coke, candy bar and pack of baseball cards. I would look at my new cards and peruse the box scores in the sports pages to see how they all did. Maybe that's how I wandered into this profession.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Same here. The comics were what first drew me into reading papers. Then I discovered sports.

On Sunday mornings, I' d get the paper, then bring it up,to my parents,mono would read the news sections while I studied the weekly MLB baseball stats.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

When I was in grade school, I'd copy those weekly stats for the players on my favorite uncle's fantasy team and mail them to him. I thought I was doing him a real service, haha.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I think I got everyone beat. In grade school, we got a morning AND an afternoon paper.

Matt Stephens likes this.
  6. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

This is a great thread. In regards to the original post, nothing is working right now. Is that correct? Nobody is subscribing for digital. Nobody is advertising in print or digital. These complanies are down 10 percent for this quarter? I disagree with some of your reasons on here for the decline of newspapers. But what's the result of the information in this thread? Are we closer to online only so they can fire half the staffs? If we all stay the course, what do your figures mean for layoffs in coming weeks? Will there be huge numbers of layoffs or not?
    I won't give my take and theories in this thread as you know Fredrick does not believe this had to happen. I respect the takes in this thread though.

7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Hmmm. 3,000 digital subscribers. If a fella or gal could start his/her own website and get 3000 subscribers at 100 dollars a year that might work for some of the veterans out there like McGann.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

There is a guy in Pittsburgh who quit a job at a local paper to try to do this and I think he is still around so I guess he is doing OK.

As for your idea I think this is what the Athletic hopes to do. I see your point about somebody like McGinn being able to pull this off. But I think this works better on a national level. Let's say someone decided to cover the hell out of NFL. They hire two writers for each of the 32 teams. They hire a couple of national guys and a draft guy. They might have a staff of 75 writers and I don't know how many production people. But I think that could be done and a budget of 20 million a year. So if you charge $40 bucks and get 500,000 subscribers you can break even just on subscriptions and you would also get some advertising revenue.

I might not subscribe to it if it was team specific because I have a subscription to my local paper and they cover the local team and the paper covers them really well. But if I could easily access all 32 NFL teams coverage I would go for that. I know ESPN staffs every NFL team and the have some excellent reporters but they do not cover a team as comprehensively as a good local paper.

If Gannett was run by half-wit I think they would try this with USA Today. Gannett staffs at least six NFL teams and has a national staff so they could leverage that staff. But I do not think the Gannett CEO has that much wit.

9. LanceyHoward

As someone who is not in the industry but has never failed to have less than two newspaper subscriptions and is interested in the business side my prediction is this. Newspapers will consolidate on a regional basis. The publishers may keep the separate mastheads but the content will be largely the same. The papers in each town will fell like zoned editions. Basically what Singleton did in California. His company bought up a lot of decent papers and rolled them up.

I drove though Southern Virginia and North Carolina the Monday before Memorial day. I bought three papers owned by Warren Buffet, Lynchburg, Danville and Greensboro. I counted eight local bylines in the three papers. The advertisers were pretty much the same. I bet that those papers are printed in the same plant (how many papers are not printed in a combined facility already?). If the papers are being printed in the same place and local content is minimal the pressures to cut costs will lead to papers.

And if you are a company like McClatchy in North Carolina or Gannett in Tenesse just run one sports section for the entire state. Give up the ghost of providing local coverage for preps and small colleges. If that happens lots of blood will flow.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Don't know if this has been mentioned in any of the threads, but USA TODAY had its pages trimmed at the same time the new, sparser look broke out. Now papers are a minimum of 24 pages, although today's was 30.

Sometimes I wonder why they even try.

11. LanceyHoward

What is a rough estimate of their pages of ads. I am shocked USA Today still prints, given their reliance on heavily discounted subscriptions.

12. TexasVet

TexasVet Active Member

On the low-end (which I assume) is 50-55% ads in the paper ... 70-75% on the high end. They need those ratios to stay profitable.

Draft saved Draft deleted