1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has an SID ever tried to frame you for misquoting someone? How'd you handle it?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Adam94, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Adam94

Adam94 Member

Got an insulting email from an SID this morning. I covered a soccer game yesterday in which the local team lost. The coach told me at the end of one particular sentence, "We didn't have a lot of heart or a lot of fight today." I have it recorded on my phone and played it back to myself two dozen times. Yet the head SID at this place said I "butchered" the quote and the whole story.

Here's the kicker. The soccer SID claims the quote was "...but we showed a lot of heart and fight today." The head SID claims it was "...but we continued to battle and showed a lot of heart and fight today." Embellished P.R. B.S. If the debate was about the one-syllable difference between "did" and "didn't," I'd be more open to considering I screwed it up. No, they are slandering me.

Luckily my editor has my back, and I don't have to deal with this SID department anytime soon. But I'm really worked up and just looking for guidance and the sharing of similar frustrating stories, so I can remind myself I'm not the only one to deal with this sort of thing.

2. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

LOL.

One time, there was an SID that told a set of facts to a national media outlet that disagreed with what others had said throughout the day. The original story ended up making national headlines and we were on the verge of publishing a story that said the SID lied to the national media outlet. While I was on the phone with the school's head of external affairs to get a comment, the SID texted a reporter at the national outlet and "clarified" his remarks.

3. Adam94

Adam94 Member

Lol! Good timing for that SID to clear things up for everyone.

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Call him back play the recording then tell him to go f himself.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

If you feel 100 percent confident you quoted the coach accurately, send the SID the isolated part of the audio file and cc the assistant athletic director with a note that says: "Just wanted to clear this up. Here is the audio showing the quote is accurate. Look forward to working with you again soon."

wicked and Alma like this.
  6. Adam94

Adam94 Member

I'd regret the latter part of that strategy tomorrow lol.

My editor wants to be the one to talk to the SID for now, and he added that our main beat writer who covers this school's revenue sports gets this crap from the guy a few times a year (I am relatively new to this outlet by comparison). My editor has my recording now and while he's leaving some room for the possibility that "the coach didn't enunciate," he's got the "continued to battle" embellishment in his back pocket. Very grateful he has my back.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Did you ask a follow-up on the "didn't have a lot of heart/fight" quote? Because if he answered it, that would help your case (if you misunderstood him, he would have used that spot to clarify).

The fact that the soccer SID and head SID can't coalesce around a proper quote is probably telling on its own.

8. Adam94

Adam94 Member

My point exactly! And my next question wasn't precisely about "didn't have a lot of heart" but her answer to it still would have revealed whether she thought she had to clarify. I'll also mention here that the player I interviewed said she felt the team should have been more "in the game" mentally, fwiw.

9. stix

stix Well-Known Member

If your editor has your back and you're confident, just say you stand by what you reported, and that's that.

If they wanna turn that into a pissing match, that's their problem.

wicked likes this.
  10. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

This is exactly the proper response.

jr/shotglass and daytonadan1983 like this.
  11. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

They went to war over soccer?

12. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

How would the SIDs know the quote? Did they listen to the interviews? Do they have a recording?

Draft saved Draft deleted