1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Benson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Benson on "Soap" was way better than Benson on "Benson," but I enjoyed them both. RIP.

Vombatus and fossywriter8 like this.
  3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Soap was freaking hysterical.

Vombatus, HC and LongTimeListener like this.
  4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Every time I picture Robert Guillaume speaking, I hear the clubhouse attendant in Caddyshack muttering: "Colored boy? Why you son of a bitch."

D-3 Fan likes this.
  5. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Guessing more people around remember him as the boss on "Sports Night."

Pilot likes this.
  6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Benson. lol. One of the first shows I remember cottoning too though it may have been because I crushed on Missy Gold.

I denounce myself. I await Missy's #metoo

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

And I always disliked the last name of the snoot on Benson, René Auberjonois.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

He was great as the HNIC in Lean on Me.

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Clayton Endicott III.

As snobby as snobby can get.

"Soap" premiered when I was born. I vaguely remembered "Soap" until it hit the rerun circuit. I remember seeing "Benson" for most of its entire run. Benson became a personal hero of mine (as a black kid). Intelligent, cool, a smart ass, and was nobody's fool.

To me, Benson was one of the shows that took the characters and had them evolve. Benson moved up the ladder from butler, to budget director, to lieutenant governor.

What made Benson Dubois an fictional inspiration was the same with Esther Rolle when played Florida Evans on "Maude" before starring on "Good Times". Florida was a no-nonsense smart housekeeper who often has the last laugh at Maude's expense. Maude often makes a point of conspicuously and awkwardly demonstrating how open-minded and liberal she is, to which Florida nearly quits because of Maude.

I started watching "Soap" reruns when I was about 10. Soap was funny as shit and insightful about how fucked up we really are as humans, for good and bad.

CD Boogie, Vombatus and Songbird like this.
  10. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Mister Creole mentioned "Lean on Me" and the HNIC scene. I'll add this one from "Sports Night", a show where many on this website remembers fondly and reference to back in the day.

Issac talking to Jeremy about trust.

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I had to Google that. Couldn't figure out what he had to do with Hockey Night in Canada.

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

BTW .... dude had serious vocal chops. Check out this clip from "Super Fly T.N.T." This is the real deal.

Draft saved Draft deleted