1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good and bad baseball unis

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jr/shotglass, Oct 23, 2017.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's one of those books that I really should stop lugging around every time I move (big coffee table-style book) but it's just cool to have, even if I haven't cracked it open since 1994. It sits on the shelf atop a similarly-sized book of every Topps football card made through the mid-80s (I think, it's another book I haven't opened in years).

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Yup! That's it! Thanks mpcincal. Loved that book. Really enjoyed looking at Orioles uniforms that actually had the word "Baltimore" on them. Freaking Angelos wouldn't give in to anything other than the Orioles for years as he wanted the Orioles to appeal to the DC and NoVA markets too. That's the one good thing that the Nats helped change. And now you can see Baltimore on the away uniforms again.

The friend of mine whom I bought it for was mostly interested in the Red Sox variants. He loved them and the Bruins.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The Ornithologically Correct Bird royally pissed me off, and it took them 23 years to return to their senses.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Sorry, I liked that Bird, don’t like the cartoon bird.

Vombatus likes this.
  5. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I have to admit I wasn't thrilled when the Orioles went back to the cartoon bird; I thought it was a remnant of the gaudy '70s that should have stayed there. However, once the season started and I saw those hats in games, I thought they looked really good and changed my tune on it.

As far as others, you have to pay homage to the Yankees, Tigers and Dodgers classics. I used to think the Dodger's red numbers on the front of the jerseys was out of place, but now I see it gives the jerseys (especially the home ones) just the right dash of color.

And one that's becoming a neo-classic to me are the White Sox. After years of changing their unis ever four or five years or so, they finally found something good, bringing back the old English "Sox" insignia and switching to the black and silver, they have a look I hope they never change.

6. Vombatus

I like them both.

7. Vombatus

The funny thing about that was the ornithologically correct bird had too round of a head at first and had to be updated to be truly ornithologically correct.

And you just know there had to be some passionate bird lovers out there who raised holy hell over it until it got fixed.

8. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

As a White Sox fan (yes, there are still a few of us beyond the South Side of Chicago), I couldn't agree more. Interestingly, they stayed with that design for the home uniforms from the early '50s to the mid-'70s but tinkered with the color scheme every few years -- went from black with red trim to navy blue with no accent color in the mid-'60s, then to royal blue (without pinstripes) in the late '60s and then to red (with pinstripes returning) in 1971. When the design was resurrected in the early '90s, black with silver trim was a new combination (and the one that looks best to me).

The White Sox also were the first MLB team -- and, I think, the first pro sports team, period -- to print players' names on the backs in 1960. They were only on the road unis at first and didn't show up on the home jerseys until a year or two later.

The Cubs also have a classic look at home that they've kept forever with a tweak or two, but they've had a few subpar road uniform designs over the years. Uni Watch has written about their '72 road uniforms, which featured the number centered under Chicago on the front instead of off to the side -- looked like something out of football or basketball.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

When I was a kid, my dad used to buy me the AL Red Book and the NL Green Book every year, and my favorite part were the pages on the team uniforms, with the excruciating details on colors, stripes and socks.

Seemed to fit well here.

Vombatus and X-Hack like this.
  10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

How did the blue even become that widespread a trend? Or is the simple answer, "The 1970s?"
    Off the top of my head, I counted 11 teams that had them at one time or another and there were a couple more that might have. That was almost half the league at the time.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Color tvs might have been part of it.

12. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

They were really really concerned about raising prostate cancer awareness?

Vombatus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted