1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic ... any thoughts ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by icoverbucks, Apr 18, 2017.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I'm just kind of shocked that you'd have a Jeep spewing mud all over a story about the Las Vegas massacre. Like, a motocross story or whatever? It sucks, but I get it. But that? I mean, what it if had been a story about the Gold Star Widow. Or a picture of the flag?

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

One such context from Mather:

we are rooting for local papers to get the message. their actions generally defy rationality and lead me to believe they wont.

I don't believe for a second he's rooting for local papers. But hard to argue with the second sentence.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

jr/shotglass likes this.
  4. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

The Athletic is simply The National, done in the medium which The National deserved. In fact, if The National had started in 1996 and had become the web site that it could have been, instead of 1990 when it was doomed to fail because delivery is hard, it would be the dominant sports medium today. Absolutely 100 percent believe that.

Huggy, HanSenSE and jr/shotglass like this.
  6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Larry Brooks tweeted today that he would not be renewing his subscription. Didn't want to participate in the destruction of newspapers.

HanSenSE and jr/shotglass like this.
  7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Boom. One-thousand times this.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Damn. That was quick.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ, he's even more like the Uberdouche than I thought. Keep an eye on this one in the harassment-related future.

Hey dick, you aren't trying to "clarify" something. We know what you said, we know what you meant. You're trying to pretend you changed your mind.

jr/shotglass, HanSenSE and Alma like this.
  10. BrendaStarr

BrendaStarr Member

Outside of Bears, Bulls and Cubs, ESPN Chicago is otherwise predominately wire stories at this point. Two of their former writers/columnist are now lead writers at The Athletic Chicago.

11. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

I think this excerpt from a writer's introductory column at The Athletic lays out the benefits/advantages of this platform pretty well (if this isn't OK to post, let me know):

My objective remains the same as my previous 22 years covering the NHL: That fans know I’ll work hard and with passion and personality so The Athletic becomes the one-stop shop for all things Wild and hockey news.

But now, I'll be able to do it without the restraints of a newspaper deadline.

For the first time in my career, I’ll get to actually watch the third period of a hockey game instead of having my head down, pounding the keyboard and missing key happenings because I have to file a story “at the gun.”

I won’t have to constantly look at my watch in the postgame locker room. That should improve the quality of my writing, meaning more analytical postgame columns that’ll provide an inside look rather than “gamers” overrun by play-by-play from a game you've already watched.

Trust me, I’ve always considered myself a newspaper man. I started as a paperboy at 11 years old. I grew up in the business, and I’ll always love that medium and the two papers I came from. I’m specifically leaving an incredible paper with unparalleled brand identity, stability, talent and audience size. I’ll always be indebted to the Star Tribune for getting me to where I am today.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Which lasts longer, the Yahoo All Star Stable of Sportswriters, or The Athletic?

Or Earl Watson?

Draft saved Draft deleted