1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate to agree with Clay Travis and his raging ego but ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Oct 21, 2017.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

BTW, I believe the thread title is a lie.

2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Whitesplaining cranberry is my favorite cranberry. It's also the only cranberry.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yep. You’ve got nothing.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Report what Bennett said and move on the next story. I wouldn't "challenge" Tom Brady about his Trump support, just ask "what's up with that?" What would you fucking say to "challenge" the guy recently held at gunpoint by cops? Implicit in your post is the belief white people have a responsibility to tell black people they're doing the American thing all wrong. That's bullshit.

cranberry likes this.
  5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Hondo doesn't agree with Clay Travis?

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I appreciate this answer, but it's what "you" would do.

I'm asking you - and you don't have to answer - to ponder if you were the boss of someone who challenged Michael Bennett's statement on the spot. And I used the word "challenged" specifically, as in "Joe the reporter challenged Coach Sparks after the coach said the team was fine despite a 4-game losing streak."

In this case, it'd be "Joe the reporter challenged Bennett to defend his Dred Scott analogy, since football players make millions of dollars."

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

As a Southern white conservative, I didn’t have the same freedom to mix sports and politics as a liberal would.

Yes, I’ve Turned Down TV Show(s)

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Support of someone is a little different than someone giving an account of what actually happened.

9. doctorquant

He’s really another Dred Scott ...

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Here is a truth about professional football players: They interact, and get along with, a much greater cross section of the population than people like Clay Travis. An NFL locker room is one of the great melting pots in all of society. It's filled with men (white and black) who grew up really poor, and it's filled with people (white and black) who grew up middle class to wealthy families. The play for white and black coaches, and regularly interact with fans of every race. The same guys who beat their puds to the idea that they'd rather be governed by the first 2000 people in the phone book than the Harvard faculty can't seem to stomach the idea that people who worked their asses off, frequently pulling themselves out of abject poverty, to become professional athletes might have valuable insight into society.

I Should Coco and cranberry like this.
  11. doctorquant

Well, I’d rather be governed by the active membership of the NFLPA than by the Harvard faculty ... should I merely stroke the pud, or is that beat-worthy, too?

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This guy is a conservative?

He’s either a recent convert, or he’s play acting.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted