1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate to agree with Clay Travis and his raging ego but ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Oct 21, 2017.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I remember in 2003 there was a viral email going around noting all the celebrities against the Iraq War, along with their academic non-credentials, paired against war proponents and their academic credentials.

Good job, credentials!

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There was a reason Halberstam titled his book "The Best and the Brightest."

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I've always found Bette Midler's views on who should be chair of the Federal Reserve to be well thought-out and solidly grounded in the research literature.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Well, I'll take her understanding of macroeconomics over our current president's any time and I have no idea if she knows a damn thing.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't know, cran, Sarah Sanders' math lesson about the average American family getting a $4,000 tax break is the stuff of learned upbringing for sure.

doctorquant likes this.
  6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don't think that's the case. I think Travis is pretty despicable, but he's found an opening created by the media. He's an opportunist. He sees a sports figure comparing slaves to athletes who make millions of dollars - which is to say, it's a pretty shitty comparison - and he sees no media willing to call Bennett on that, and Travis correctly figures this is because of who Bennett is and the political perspective he represents.

Then Travis writes about it, and people read it, and think he's courageous in ways other media is not.

More than anything, Travis likes to make a buck. And he is. Because the rest of the media can't look at something this obvious and ask any questions or raise the slightest stink for fear of seeming racist.

That's a dangerous place for a reporter to be. Really dangerous. Because when objective reporters can't hold Bennett remotely accountable for such lines, that leaves the right wing media to do it.

And that ain't good.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  7. cranberry

Yep, just terrible that the media wasn't willing to call out Bennett about his "pretty shitty comparison" until a courageous white scumbag like Clay Travis set all those uppity black athletes straight, right? After all, it pretty much destroyed Curt Flood's reputation and legacy, right?

"A well-paid slave is nonetheless a slave."

--Curt Flood

curt.jpg

And before him there was that ingrate Jackie Robinson, who said, "I cannot stand and sing the anthem. I cannot salute the flag; I know that I am a black man in a white world."

When are these black athletes going to learn to conduct themselves respectfully!

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

What are those? The mere fact a so-called right wing media member (Travis) is the only one calling out Bennett is a pretty clear indication that the so-called objective reporters are at least heavily leaning a certain way.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If you're being "objective" how does calling someone out prove your objectivity?

10. cranberry

Travis Clay can say what he pleases. It obviously struck a chord with Alma and other white people who believe journalists have a duty to tell black people how, where and when they should express themselves.

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

All the rolly eyes.

12. cranberry

You didn’t get any smarter while you were away. Maybe take some classes next time?

Draft saved Draft deleted