1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Why not just concede it because it's true?

Yes. He should have been more clear. The way his comments were presented were untruthful because of the absence of the rest of what was said, not because of what was quoted.

True. Kelly was mistaken when he said that Wilson grandstanded and made the event about her, and not two slain FBI agents, by pointing out her role in getting funding for the project. She did it by pointing out her role in getting the naming of the building approved.

He should have corrected the facts.

She backed up the account that she perceived his call to be disrespectful, and that Trump stumbled on the name.

I think it's fair, again, to criticize Trump's continued engagement, but I would think the press would seek his response to this morning's interview. Is it better or more respectful to have it come from Sarah Huckabee Sanders at today's press briefing, rather than from the President in a tweet?

The tweet allows the press to include his response, which while contradictory, does not appear to be malicious, in their reporting immediately.

"Focus" is an interesting word. Is a simple acknowledgement, in light of the overwhelming coverage the story has received, that the Congresswoman politicized the call, a change in focus, or is it just something that should have been mentioned, and included all along?

Does it change the focus for me, or anyone else, to call on the press to follow their own ethical guidelines, regardless of who the president is, or what they think of him.

@RickStain and @MisterCreosote clearly believe that journalistic standards can, and should, be thrown out the window when dealing with Trump.

And, if other's believe this as well, they should either just say so, rather than try to avoid the issue, by declaring any review of their coverage to be a distraction, or an attempt to change the "focus".

We should be able to walk and chew gum at the same time, and the press should have to defend their own actions, when they are fairly called into question.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The idiocy of fake centrism

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I believe that journalistic standards are a nuanced discussion completely beyond your abilities to meaningfully discuss, and your feigned concern for them are nothing but whataboutism.

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Thing making the rounds on Facebook (I have a very ecumenical friends list) is the "Trump just called the widow ... a liar" ... Come on, man.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Everyone should be nicer to him when he's caught in a half-dozen lies at once.

6. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Well, he's contradicting her account of the call. I guess he could be implying that she's mistaken in her recollection, but given that she went on national TV this morning with a clear version of events, it sure seems like he's calling her a liar.

7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I don't know any centrists. Neither does anyone else.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

What do you know about journalism?

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

OK, let's talk about it.

Which specific press accounts do you take issue with?

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'd actually like to discuss my journalistic standards.

Every word I've typed here is either true or corroborated by decades of behavioral evidence.

Let me have it.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

???

12. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Credentials or STFU.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.