1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Managing/Sports Editor (Milton,WI)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ccap1125, Oct 23, 2017.

1. ccap1125

ccap1125 New Member

Are you an experienced sports editor who wants to move up to more responsibility? Does your passion remain with local sports, but you’d like to run your own newspaper?

If so, we’d like to hear from you. We may have just the right opportunity for you.

Hometown News Limited Partnership, publisher of nine community newspapers in beautiful southern Wisconsin, seeks a combination of managing editor and sports editor for The Milton Courier, a community weekly newspaper located just south of Madison.

This position serves as the managing editor of the overall newspaper with primary responsibility as the sports editor.

You would supervise a news editor and a part-time office administrative position. We also have a full-time advertising sales representative in the Milton office.

Duties include:

• Covering local sports stories, including high school athletic teams and tournaments, youth athletics, and other related events of interest in our readership area through reporting, photography and writing sports stories.
    • Supervise the staff and overall functions of the newspaper including news coverage, page layout, production, and office operations.
    • Coordinate additional coverage through the use of freelance writers and photographers.
    • Produce the sports pages for both newspapers each week using InDesign and Photoshop software, including layout, design, writing headlines and cutlines, photo editing, and pagination.
    • Supervise, provide training and assistance as needed to the news editor to ensure comprehensive local news coverage.
    The successful candidate will have at least two years experience, a degree in journalism, communications, or a related field, or a combination of experience and education that meets the requirements, as well as demonstrated proficiency in:

• Exemplary people skills to lead a small team in producing an award-winning community newspaper
    • Sports reporting, writing and editing skills
    • Photography skills
    • Page layout and design experience with InDesign and Adobe Creative Cloud.
    • Computer skills including Microsoft Word.
    The Milton Courier serves its readers through a weekly print newspaper, website, feature sections and specialty magazines.

Equal Opportunity Employer.

To apply, email your resume, cover letter and references to:

Chris Mertes

spedit@hngnews.com

2. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I did a managing editor/sports editor thing for a year-and-a-half while my company dicked around finding a new managing editor. (The ME was fired for harassment and I was told it would be "six weeks...eight, tops.") And I had three reporters and a part-time layout/obituaries/wedding announcements person. Is the news editor the only news reporter?

No one in their right mind wants this job.

3. ccap1125

ccap1125 New Member

There is one full-time news reporter, the news editor, on staff along with a regular freelancer who writes multiple stories each week.

If what I'm hearing is correct, management approved a change yesterday afternoon to make this a sports editor job and take away the managing editor portion. Those duties, I believe, would then be passed onto the news editor.

4. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

So the SE will now make $25,000 instead of $28,000

5. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer New Member

This company is going nowhere in a hurry, desperately clinging to its small subscriber base and paying dirt wages to its staff. The ownership, which is not a journalism-based entity, does not appreciate quality and will never make it a priority. It will clench these few small newspapers until there's no way to pay people less and the doors close.

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

"Beautiful Southern Wisconsin" = It only gets down to 0ºF here as opposed to the dirty north of the state, which gets down to -30º.

Draft saved Draft deleted