1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate to agree with Clay Travis and his raging ego but ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

These are all, frankly, blushworthy questions.

If you want to have a rights debate, have it with someone else.

2. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Speak for yourself, whomever you are.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Bradley, Kemp, Largent, Bunning, Mathias, Page, Udall, et al.

Franken.

Reagan.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Maybe Alma can explain why those “millionaire celebrities” were wrong choices by the constituencies they represented? Was it more that they were millionaires or because they were celebrities that should have disqualifed them from taking leadership roles in their communties?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Again, if you want to draw a bright line on my comments that suggests NO athletes EVER, I can't stop you.

Plus, you forgot Gerald Ford.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I skipped Mr. Ford because, while he played college football, he wasn't very rich or famous at the time of doing so.

Whizzer White, on the other hand, was a coast to coast star.

I'll swap in a Schwarzenegger.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

How about if we bright line the entire unsupported premise on which you based your ridiculous generalization about “millionaire celebrities.” I think many people (not everyone!) who make these assertions are doing so in efforts to undermine, discredit and suppress leaders of groups with which they don’t agree. I absolutely believe that to be the case with Clay Travis, who is a despicable human being.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Philanthropy and protest part of Michael Bennett’s identity

“My mom went to a historically black college, so I grew up going to summer camps and doing a lot of different things in the community as a kid. So I got to see first hand and learn about all the great leaders. My punishment as a kid was reading the encyclopedia.”

Bennett’s mother is an educator and his father a Navy veteran and school-board member. Bennett said his house is full of literature, much of it biographies, histories and volumes on current issues. He said he learns by listening, reading and traveling. Sharing a meal, too.

Gosh, he comes from a military family where working in the community was a core value. Now he donates all of his endorsement money to STEM education for underserved youth. That's usually the kind of background and activity that give a person a certain moral authority in the eyes of the public. I wonder what's different here.

Donny in his element likes this.
  9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

The Bennetts are two of the most fascinating athletes around these days. They've come a long way from their Black Olympics YouTube vids.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

"Celebrities" and "highly paid athletes" have been actively involved in politics since before Clay Travis and hell, myself were born. The choices of movie stars in presidential and California state elections in the '30s received as much attention as they do today. Stan Musial campaigned for Democrats and Ted Williams for Republicans and nobody thought it was weird or wrong. They took it for what it was, an effort to attract attention from the decisive plurality of Americans who have little interest in politics most of the time. The only difference now is that the proliferation of both mass and social media mean these folks are in everyone's face more than they once were. But let's face it, the same factors mean everyone is everyone's else face much more than they once were.

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I can't imagine this ever happens or that you do it repeatedly.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

exactly. Is there a particular line of work that prepares you to be a good politician? Mount Rushmore has a general, slave owner and land surveyor; a mid-tier lawyer; a slave owner and land owner who was a spendthrift; and a Harvard grad who came from the upper crust and was a prolific writer. (Apologies for the concise summations.) Ronald Reagan was an actor and spokesman. George W. Bush was a cokehead and baseball owner. Obama was a community organizer. It takes all types.

Unfortunately most poor people don't have time to be politicians; they're too busy trying to not be poor.

I have no problem with anyone voicing political opinions, though admittedly I'm biased toward those who echo mine.

Donny in his element likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted