1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football 2017 Week 8 running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Except it doesn't when you have a definitive head-to-head result. Especially when the road team wins it. One point or 40, Georgia went into Notre Dame and won. That's the tiebreaker. Period. To pick Notre Dame over Georgia when both have one loss -- assuming Georgia's is to Alabama in an extra game -- destroys all credibility of the process.
    With those two teams, to quote Jerry Jones, this is not a damn debate.
    Now, you want to throw a one-loss, ACC champion Clemson or Miami in there over Georgia, that might be a different story.

Another fly in the ointment could be Alabama. They look unbeatable right now, but if Georgia knocks them off in the SEC championship game it's really going to make things interesting. Alabama has a history of back-dooring their way into the national championship picture, too.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No, to @tapintoamerica.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

1993 Final Football Polls - College Poll Archive - Historical College Football and Basketball Polls and Rankings

Of course, losing to fringe top 25 BC at home is a little different than losing in the SEC title game to Alabama.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's completely logical.

But there is a mode of thinking out there that believes "the playoff" starts with the conference championship games. While what you posted above makes perfect sense, a conference championship game where each participant feels safely nestled into a playoff spot --- win or lose --- is unsettling, as well. When that happens, you become, IMO . . . college basketball.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is not true at all. Penn State beat Ohio State last year (at Happy Valley, granted) and won the conference championship and also had one loss and didn't get the spot. If head-to-head was the end-all be-all, Penn State would have been in.

I don't think a one-point game three months earlier is going to be seen as the hammer in that decision, though a 40-point game sure would be.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Penn State had two losses: Pitt and Michigan.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Ah fuck, you're right. Never mind. I suck.

I still don't think a one-pointer is going to weigh above everything else in the committee room, though.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

:D

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

That's what I was trying to say last night.

Wisconsin and Michigan State have the type of teams built to play that game. They're the Iowa Hawkeyes but with better players.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I laughed at this sign at Gameday.
    1D15FF1A-7505-4E58-9B6F-941D5A5F9C96.jpeg

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Penn State, Alabama, Notre Dame. Are there 3more hated teams outside their fan base?
    Who’s the 4th on the College Football’s Mt Rushmore of bile inducing hate?

Draft saved Draft deleted