1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football 2017 Week 8 running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

What if we end up with Alabama, Penn State and TCU as the unbeatens, and a 12-1 Georgia team that loses in the SEC championship game to Alabama but has a road win at Notre Dame?

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Then everyone can send "Fuck You" Christmas cards to Notre Dame?

Works for me, thanks.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Crazy as it seems to say this, after tonight: Penn State might not win out. Nobody's going to beat them in a track-meet type of game — not even Ohio State — but the Lions almost lost a defensive slugfest to a vastly less-talented Iowa team.

A low-scoring, defensive battle against, say, Michigan State or Wisconsin could derail Penn State's unbeaten season. Emphasis on the word "could."

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't think 20-19 would be seen as conclusive. But maybe. Who knows.

I do think this season will push us much further down the road to the inevitable eight-team playoff. There are scenarios here where Team 3 and Team 7 are indistinguishable.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

SEC and Big 10 champs are in at this point. Then you have ACC 1, SEC2, ND, TCU, B102 and Washington.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'd have to think Georgia's win at ND would be treated as definitive, especially after last night. But really, aside from Michigan and USC being eliminated for keeps, and no one thought they weren't before, the playoff remains a mystery, as it damn well should before Halloween.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Penn State isn't losing a game.

Maybe in the playoff but not till then.

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

They out-gained Iowa 579-273. The fact that the score was close seems super fluky.
    No way to prove it one way or the other. But my guess is the lesson of that game is likely "weird shit happens some time" more than "this style of play might work."

9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

On a completely different note....21 total yards, Kansas???? Really???

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I don't know. Last night was pretty damn impressive. But there are those periods where the opponent sells out for Barkley (see Pat Fitzgerald), and McSorley and the passing game has to make something happen. And that doesn't always happen.

A post I just saw on my FB feed summed it up: "That’s kind of the deal with this team. McSorley is a winner but won’t ever get you 4 perfect quarters."

I will say this. If they go down, it's going to be 14-10. It's not going to be 42-35. Nobody's putting 42 up on that defense.

And yes, I know I just assured that tOSU will put 42 up on that defense.

One other thing, and I didn't reply to the tasteless comment by 'yab last night because he was just trying to bring down the moment. But I'm way past being ashamed for being a fan of this ballclub.

This is a completely different program than it was five years ago, and the players of five years ago didn't even have anything to do with what happened there. Do they have a cross-section of fans who are overbearing cretins? You bet. So does Alabama, Stanford, TCU ... why, even Baylor.

So bring your best shot, 'yab.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Penn State is probably winning it all, undefeated.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

There could be worse things. We voted Donald Trump into office (since the politics thread is turned off for the moment).

Draft saved Draft deleted