1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate to agree with Clay Travis and his raging ego but ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Oct 21, 2017.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

... in this case he's right, both about the failure of the news media to hold Michael Bennett accountable for his proven false statements about the Las Vegas incident and Bennett's absurd comparison of himself to Dred Scott earlier this week.

Michael Bennett Compares Himself To Slave Dred Scott

If NFL owners mandate that players stand for the anthem, it in no way makes them property or slaves and anyone making the comparison is looney.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

When will Travis unpack all the lies he claims Bennett told about Vegas?

And of course Bennett is using the Dred Scott analogy to compare Jerry Jones and other owners to slave owners, i.e., they believe the players are their property. Bennett 100% knows he himself is no slave. Not sure Jerry Jones and Dan Gilbert and some others know Bennett or LeBron James or others are not their property.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

None of the video the cops eventually released disproves anything Bennett said.

Uncanny that the arresting officer's camera recorded nothing. Uncanny.

Likewise uncanny that a trained lawyer like Clay Travis - who preens constantly about his professional skepticism - is so credulous about a PD investigation into itself.

And as per Sports Predictor, Travis mischaracterizes the way Bennett referenced Dred Scott.

Clay Travis is a quite remarkable piece of shit.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This column appears to be as factually accurate as the one saying LeBron must be lying about the racist graffiti because Clay hasn't seen pictures.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

As it is with many lawyers, Travis argues from a fiction to articulate another fiction.

Like Whitlock, he fancies himself a truthteller, but is actually making his living as a cheerleader for white grievance.

It's not malign bullshit, he's building his brand!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Of course hondo chimes in and agrees with Clay Travis in parsing this particular topic.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah. This is a trait I often notice in lawyers, and in no other profession that seeks to sway public opinion.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think it is historically fair to single out lawyers for their cynical and singular gifts of arguing any position with equal conviction and no belief in anything at all.

There's a centuries-long tradition of lawyers as punchline, in fact. I defer here to Shakespeare.

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers."

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  9. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Right, better to be a journalist like you. I defer here to Janet Malcolm.

"Every journalist who is not too stupid or too full of himself to notice what is going on knows that what he does is morally indefensible."

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Of course.

But YF's whataboutism doesn't change the nature of my comment about Clay Travis.

That others might argue insincerely doesn't lessen the impact of Travis's insincere arguments.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's hard to argue with the following two sentences from Travis:

I don’t know why we believe that athletes, who spend most of their time trying to excel in sports, are going to be uniquely perceptive or eloquent when it comes to addressing political issues in our country. But this seems to be the general consensus in the left wing sports media.

FileNotFound likes this.
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"left wing sports media"

Draft saved Draft deleted