1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You couldn't pay me enough

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Insanity.

2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I have dangled by my fingers from the rim of the Grand Canyon, but it scares me to death to be in a tall building. Makes no sense.

I'm with @Chef2 on the MRI problem. I may have used a couple bad words when they wedged me in.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Holy shit, I'm all of those. No cure, either.

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Just close your eyes before you go in the MRI.

You’re welcome.

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I have a horrible fear of heights — although I have no problem being on airplanes or in a tall building. Just not good with being more than three steps up a ladder.

If you had walked by my house any given Christmas season 15 or so years ago, you might have seen a young couple hard at work — one up on the roof hanging lights, one behind a window ironing clothes. That was her up on the roof.

Baron Scicluna, Vombatus and Riptide like this.
  6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Again.
    Fuck and That.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Tall building is one thing.
    But to be more than a few feet off the ground with nothing between you and the earth?.........Nyet.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Dude. I got a little panicked just reading your post.
    "When they wedged you in"
    No no no no no fuck no no.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  9. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

That's close to what I said, just not quite as profane.
    I have very wide shoulders, so they made me pull them up as much as possible and then forced me into the tube. Worst nightmare possible, almost.
    I used to be OK with tighter spaces, before I almost drowned trying to access an underwater cave. Now? Helllllll no.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Dude.
    I can't read your posts anymore.
    I freak out on stuff like that.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I've had vertigo since I was about 40 (maybe 20-25 years). In a casual conversation, somebody said they read that everybody gets vertigo when they're about 40. The brain makes a subtle change. Some is worse than others.
    It's just freaky. My first episode was an a kiddie ride at a small amusement part. We were in this compartment hanging from a chain and it just went around in a circle, slowly because the park was for kids up to age 10. I nearly lost it. I had to stare at the latch on the door and not look up. I was queasy the rest of the day.
    A couple of years ago, there was a credit card commercial where the woman was buying things for her birthday. "Every girl needs new nylons." Her nylons were ropes for mountain climbing. She climbed this mountain and posed at the top. I could not watch it on TV. It was on every game we watched a half-dozen times. I just had to close my eyes and I knew from the music when the dizzy parts were finished.
    I can't stand it when parachutists jump out of a perfectly good airplane. I get a tingling in my feet. That is the signal. I got that in the original post.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Weird. Years ago I went on some spinning kiddie ride and was horribly nauseous for hours after that. I had never had any kind of problem on rides like that before.

I would have been almost exactly 40 when that happened. I've avoided them ever since.

Draft saved Draft deleted