1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cam Newton thinks female reporter talking routes is 'funny'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MeanGreenATO, Oct 4, 2017.

1. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Got a link?

2. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Doc your take is pretty strict here. She made those tweets when she was in college and it's not clear whether they were sarcastic or not. How do you know the players will have a problem with her? I don't think players care about the media personalities. Newton didn't even know she covered the team as she wrote she approached him afterward and he didn't know her. The players likely do not care she's covering the team. As far as your first couple sentences, how do you know she was exposed as a racist? I don't think there's proof of that in any way shape or form. I have conflicting opinions but am not sure her tweets condoned racism. They may have been sarcastic.

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Lay out the case that she isn't.

5. Doc Holliday

Didn't look like his agent to me.

6. Doc Holliday

You really are naive pal.

7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I'm not the one making the accusation, so I'm not going to prove a negative. If you don't want to back up a claim of racism, I'm not sure why you're on a message board, where I would presume the objective is to discuss things.

Continue with your Doc circle jerk.

8. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Sigh.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I texted with Oregon State's coach and he said she's not racist. I made him aware I was using this text here.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  10. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Cam and his teammates may not have known who she was before, but you can't make that argument now. Whether she's a racist or not, players may view her as one over the events of the last few weeks, which could make it very difficult for her to do her job.

I don't necessarily agree that she should lose her job (though I think a male beat writer would), but I don't see how the Observer expects her to return to the beat after a week or two as though she can just pick up where she left off.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    Doc Holliday likes this.
  11. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

So I was watching the Panthers game earlier because it was the only thing on, and I realized I followed Rodrigue on Twitter but hadn't seen any of her tweets. She's liked tweets recently, but she hasn't sent anything out since Oct. 6. Wonder what the story is behind the low usage.

12. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted