1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cam Newton thinks female reporter talking routes is 'funny'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MeanGreenATO, Oct 4, 2017.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Rehired . . . or doing a lot of freelancing in retirement for them?

That would be a very McClatchyesque thing to do. Pay someone six months of severance not to work, then bring him back to work. Over a 12-month period you get 6 months of work for 12 months of pay.

I do know that McClatchy's print pub center has brought back a few people several months after their layoffs. What usually happens is a handful get laid off, and right after that another 3-4 leave on their own, and then all of a sudden you are woefully short of bodies.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The rule is, you can't come back for "X" months, the "X" being the number of months your buyout covered. Buyout was end of March, which puts end of September as the end of that period, since I believe 26 weeks was the maximum.

3. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

They're using his old (new) email address as part of his byline ... not something they do for freelancers ... of course, it may also be just how their publishing system is set up, and no one thought to remove/change it after his departure ...

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Was Jourdan fired or not? Seems a little harsh to me. I think her Tweets in college were bad, but she was in college for gawd sakes. Now if she admitted to her suits that her dad indeed was prejudiced and those tweets were true, I guess she must be switched to another beat. Lot of African American pro football players and they understandably would be upset that she laughed at her dad's racist tweets (if she admits they truly were racist). They might not have been. I have no idea. At this point in time I feel she should be kept on at the news organization.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

6. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Good Lord. This is why I can't take Cam seriously when he issues his bullshit apologies and has his clingers-on plant stories about how much he's grown and matured.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that this is the week Roderigue is back on the job. He definitely regrets what he did and wants to move on. Of course he does.

7. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Is she back on the job? I haven't seen anything with her byline ...

8. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Story said she returned to the beat on Wednesday.

9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

And then what? She was exposed as a racist? How The Observer found out she's a racist is highly unusual. But the fact they employ a racist on a major beat hasn't changed and that's a major problem.

She should be removed completely from the situation. She will NEVER have the respect from minority players she had previously, and therefore she will not be able to perform her job as required. Besides, she casts a major shadow on her employer as supporting bigotry. They need to send her to the unemployment line.

Amazing the support for her. I didn't see a sincere apology from her either. Newton's was clear and heartfelt. Her's were a few lazy words on Twitter to cover her ass. There's no place in our business for a racist.

10. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Lay out the case that she's a racist.

11. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Suspension?

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yes, his agent's apology was clear and heartfelt.

Draft saved Draft deleted