1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When Old Tweets Bite You in the Ass - HARD

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A couple of years ago, we had an opening and I floated a name of someone I knew was interested. One of my bosses just laughed. "You weren't here then," he told me. He then sent me a link to some tweets from this person from a couple of years earlier, taking us and one of our writers to task.

Double Down is right. That shit sticks. Be careful out there. Be smart out there

Alma likes this.
  2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Of all the mirages and snake oil that the news industry has followed for the last 20 years, I'd rank Twitter first.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Friend of mine had a story of his RT recently by a guy with 5 million followers, and a guy with 3 million followers. So potentially, 7 million people could have been exposed to that story. (I'm subtracting at least a million spam bots, but probably should subtract more.)

It was a great story, and timely, about something very topical.

Story got 7,000 clicks through Twitter (but like 400,000 overall).

Think about that for a moment.

Twitter is scam, man. It sure as hell ain't benefitting news organizations. The idea that it drives traffic for anyone but the Kardashians to their latest product line of cheap goods is a joke.

LongTimeListener and Alma like this.
  4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

And, you know, some dickish AME would say: "Well, that's 7,000 clicks we didn't get off our home page."

HanSenSE and LongTimeListener like this.
  5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

But #Sharknado really was fantastic in real time.

6. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

It generates next to no traffic. For me, a person who works from home, it's a weird little connection to the world, a pretty decent newsfeed, and a very occasional ego stroke. I like it for that, but I don't like it for a bunch of other things. I think about quitting all the time, but it's like this place: It sticks a little to the ribs.

Alma likes this.
  7. typefitter

I know of three people who didn't get or were "mysteriously" let go of good jobs because of dumb shit they had tweeted. At least two of them, I don't think they know that's why. They probably blame minority hiring or something. It's because they were dickheads on Twitter.

Alma and Double Down like this.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Seconded (thirded).

It's a pretty good arts feed and headline service. I don't worry much about the traffic it drives, but I learn a lot by exploring links and referrals I'd otherwise never see.

I leave the Twitter beefing to the pros.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I like it for seeing and recommending good stories. Lot of stuff I see on Twitter, I'd never see otherwise. It's hard to quit for that reason. And I like doing the reciprocal and sharing good work — no matter who does it — because doing good work is hard. I think that's what keeps me around. But sometimes I realize I've been looking at for an hour without doing anything else and I feel ill. I think that's one reason I came back here. At least here, the Nazis get banned.

10. typefitter

Gave it up years ago, but I still regret every Twitter beef I've ever had. What a waste of time. A pointless generator of bad feelings.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Wright Thompson was on Richard Deitsch's podcast a while ago and had a great line about Twitter. Timesuck, mindsuck, maybe both were used? I'll have to go back and listen and get the exact quote.

Alma likes this.
  12. typefitter

Wright's said he was so much happier when he quit Twitter.

Draft saved Draft deleted