1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BOOKS THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Oh man, you gotta. Downstairs they have a massive literary nonfiction section that has a lot of books like this, and that's also where the journalism section is. Some great finds on those shelves too. My other favorite section's probably the film & TV section on main floor. But history section amazing, and lots of other sections as well obviously. No place to really sit so if your back gets sore from standing too long, like mine, it can get a bit tough.

Perhaps my favorite Christmas gift each year is 100 dollar gift crd to the Strand. There are full price books there. But it's also where you can find ton of used books for $5, $7, etc., and I can usually get 10 or 11 books with the gift card.

CD Boogie likes this.
  2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I'm guessing it'll be a great read, then. I'd much rather read a biography with teeth than some authorized hagiography.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Yeah this will be interesting. The Draper Rolling Stone history is outstanding.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Just ordered. Thanks Amazon for the massive credit. I'm getting a shitload of books on Tuesday for about 10 bucks out of my pocket

6. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I read this NYTimes story today at lunch, and then put the book on my Amazon wish list. Great story; can't wait to read the book.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Dude how right you were, thanks!
    Picked up the rolling stone history and three other books.

Small Town Guy likes this.
  8. King's Lisey's Story and Finn Murphy's the Long Haul.

I liked Lisey's Story, but it took me many, many pages to get into it. It was very slow to develop.

The Long Haul was Ok. A lifetime Long Haul moving trucker writes a book about his experiences and espouses on American society, business and economics. It was OK. Decent read for an airport or vacation.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Does anyone read Dos Passos anymore?

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Ali was the greatest sports figure of my lifetime and there have been a lot of great books written about the Champ over the years and Jonathan Eig's new bio belongs with them but it isn't the greatest. It is a good companion to Thomas Hauser's oral bio which I preferred because so many of the principals were still alive at the time it was done. Eig's book covers all the bases, delves deep into Ali's Muslim conversion, his later years and certainly opened my eyes to his serial whoring. There are few stats in boxing aside from wins and losses but Eig makes liberal use of punch stat numbers to show how much punishment Ali took over the years.

Definitely worth a read.

11. AD

AD Active Member

hey abbott: i read dos passos still. and his influence is most lately seen in george packer's 'the reckoning'. direct ripoff -- admitted -- of dos passos' revolutionary narrative techniques.

heyabbott likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted