1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Me, too'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 15, 2017.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'll never give in.

[​IMG]

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

You calling me unreasonable, Don Quixote?

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

He has a clique, people. Take notes.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Do the mysterious prominent posters finally stand revealed!?

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

franticscribe likes this.
  7. Dick Whitman

Not whatsoever. Those are just posters who seem to write really well and rationally. They get their point across but don't belabor it. I wouldn't know any of them from Adam.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Belaboring points? Tell me more.

typefitter, CD Boogie and poindexter like this.
  9. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

doctorquant likes this.
  10. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I bet you didn't even feel that one leave the bat.

CD Boogie and poindexter like this.
  11. Dick Whitman

The point of my post was that they are better at that than me. It wasn't a post in which I was oblivious and/or not self-aware.

That said, I also admit that I enjoy the back-and-forth. Something like whether to use "reveals" or "says" in a situation like this is interesting regarding the journalism/precise language portion of it, but it's also really a springboard into bigger-picture questions. I thought there were a lot of interesting offshoots here. Does it matter if there's no accused named? Should the movement to "believe the accuser as a default" make its way into how we phrase news stories? Are we primarily concerned about libel? Or something else? There are a lot of competing interests tied up in the choice between "reveals" and other possible word selections.

Any of us who write for a living make these little choices a hundred times a day, at least. It's like the movies - every coffee cup was placed in that frame, that way, with purpose.

12. Dick Whitman

Not for nothing, but my friends are plumbers and mechanics and teachers who don't really give a shit about any of this kind of stuff. So I have to get it out of my system ... somewhere.

doctorquant and SpeedTchr like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted