1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When Old Tweets Bite You in the Ass - HARD

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I do not know Adam Best. I know no one at Barstool. I have no dog in this fight.
    But it seems Best took Barstool to task and Barstool went through his Twitter history a little faster than Best could hit the delete button.

And, uh, wow.

Barstool Sports

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Didn't he play Batman?

UPChip and franticscribe like this.
  3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'll admit, I got frigging lost between fansided, barstool, who tweeted what, and what was objectifying.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So there are no winners in that fight?

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

As apologies go, this is a pretty good one.

franticscribe likes this.
  6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Would agree with that. Don't duck, don't dodge, don't blame elsewhere.

franticscribe and Dick Whitman like this.
  7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

They're both getting a lot more attention than they would otherwise, if that counts as winning.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

God, that's awesome, though.

I still hate Barstool with a white-hot passion and hope they get run out of ESPN in the most humiliating manner possible. But I do love people getting destroyed by their own words like that.

Also so fucking glad I never got on Twitter.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I think he's a Pig.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Good Heavens, he got destroyed.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Pretty good, but it's missing a sentence:

"And while I don't condone what Barstool Sports does, I have to admit I once did it, too, and need to be forthcoming about my own weaknesses when publicly calling out the weaknesses of others. And since calling out Barstool Sports on Twitter is not a novel, risky thing to do, I have to admit I did it for the sake of my own ego, which only proves I still have a long ways to go as a person."

Buck likes this.
  12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

So, I've come to realize (and I concede that it's a NO SHIT realization, so you don't have to point that out) that Twitter can literally only do me harm in my job. I understand why some people need it for theirs, how it helps increase their profile, etc., but the only thing it can do for me is weaponize me in stupid moments. I have gotten a little buzzed on bourbon before and been scrolling through Twitter and fired back at someone, and while I'm not putting anyone's life in danger, in terms of my future, it's about as dangerous as driving while buzzed. I've never tweeted anything like Best did, or like Barstool tweets, but sometimes I'll want to pitch a feature on someone, and I'll go back and realize I tweeted something stupid about them four years ago. "LOL, that Matt Stafford throw is garbage, and so is he!" (I made that up, but I'm sure I've tweeted shit about Stafford like that.) Now let's say I want to go to the Lions and ask them about getting time with Stafford for a feature and they're like "Yeah, we're already aware that you think he sucks from your tweets. We're going to pass."

Twitter is responsible for an enormous amount of bad in journalism. And the dirty secret is, it drives so000000 little traffic, it's almost irrelevant. All it really is is an ego stroke, or something that increases your "profile" for other people in journalism. Maybe some people are exposed to your work and otherwise wouldn't be through Twitter and that's great. Maybe you do get hired because of your cheeky quips. But all it can do for me at this point is get me in trouble. I'm not changing anyone's mind, I'm not getting a better job, I'm not making any more friends, really. I wish I could get off the thing, but it's like quitting cigarettes. Trying to wean my way off it. Recently downloaded my whole Twitter archive and scanned through it to see if I needed to delete anything. Nothing bad, as I'm not an asshole, but still, plenty of stuff I'd never tweet now.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    FileNotFound, wicked, Batman and 6 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted