1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dwight Clark reveals ALS

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Mar 19, 2017.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Was this a proper use of "reveals"?

3. It's reported there are about 20,000 cases of ALS in the US.

I think it's more prevalent.I know several people who have it.
    Disclosure: I was actively involved in an local ALS charity.

exmediahack likes this.
  4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Some good friends of mine worked with Susan Spencer Wendel at The Palm Beach Post. (I met her once, fairly late in the disease's progression.) Her book, "Until I Say Goodbye," is equal parts inspiring and heart-shredding. Definitely worth a read, particularly if somebody close to you is going through the ALS struggle.

http://susanspencerwendel.com/

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

A former co-worker of mine was diagnosed when he was in his early 50s and was gone in less than two years. Like exmediahack, it's about the only thing I ... well, not fear really, but wonder about in a pretty unhealthy way. Like, I can't imagine getting that diagnosis, how that would just crush you, but still the mind goes where it goes. Is it just older age arthritis setting in, or is it something more sinister? Do I even want to know?

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Wow. Have to read about him, did not realize that, thought 10 maybe 15 years was the longest anyone lives with it.

7. HanSenSE

Mark Purdy's written a couple of columns about him, but the stories abound. Don't know if it's on Amazon or YouTube, but there's an excellent documentary that appeared on PBS, "One More Season." There's also a made-for-TV movie "Quiet Victory," based on the doc, that may require constant blood sugar monitoring, it's so cliche.

8. HanSenSE

9. HanSenSE

10. HanSenSE

11. HanSenSE

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Clark in six months older than me and completed college in 1979. He also grew up in North Carolina, where I spent a fair chunk of my childhood there. So I have always looked as him as something of a contemporary among star athletes. I remember when I watched "The Catch" in my 450 square foot apartment. At the time Clark was dating a Miss Universe and I was dating no one. I remember thinking what a great life Clark had. A pro athlete with a hot girlfriend living in the Bay area. And now I would not trade my 60 years on this planet for his beasue ALS is such a terrible disease.

Draft saved Draft deleted