1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2017 MLB postseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by FileNotFound, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Game 5 was my favorite game ever. The O'Neill catch still inspires.

bigpern23 likes this.
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Actually, another good parallel to this season. ... Every time Chapman comes in for the 9th inning, I feel about the way I felt when Wettelend came in to close a game during that season.

bigpern23 likes this.
  3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

nauseous? Actually, he reminds me more of Robertson with the walks, but Wetteland combined it with long fly balls to really scare the crap out of us.

bigpern23 likes this.
  4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I seem to remember the Bob Gibson 17 strikeout game in 1968 World Series was on a High Holiday and I watched the end after services. That's one of my earliest sports memories.

And I got to go to my first World Series game in 1978 because it was on Yom Kippur. My friend's dad had tickets and wasn't using them because of the holiday. I, at 18, was able to convince my mom to let me and my younger brother skip breaking the fast to go to the game. It was the Bob Welch-Reggie Jackson game.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I am getting to be my father. Chapman comes in and I see #54 and think Gossage.

Dyno likes this.
  6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Momentum is the next day’s starting pitcher. But fear stays with you.

These are nobody’s Yankees. 2009 was forever ago. 96-00 Was twice forever. But maybe Houston, which did get punched in the mouth last night, has some fear. Maybe you see the pinstripes, the crowd standing at every 2 strike count and you have a fear. The thing that sucks about competing and being a competitive person is the fear and dred of losing is worse than the joy of winning. Winning is mostly a relief. Maybe Houston has that fear. I dont think Keuchel or Verlander fear the Yankees, but the rest of the team...?

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Not for nothing but it's pretty funny how many of the '77-'78 Dodgers-Yanks World Series players ended up playing in the Cubs-Padres NLCS in '84.

Cubs: Cey, Lopes, Johnstone, Sutcliffe

Padres: Garvey, Nettles, Gossage

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I find it curious that Steve Garvey played in five World Series (74, 77, 78, 81, 84) and all but the last were against Reggie Jackson.

9. Songbird

Speaking of Reggie, he teamed with Drysdale and Weaver for this game.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

There was a stretch of 10 or 11 years in a row where only an American League team with Reggie won the pennant.

11. Songbird

Fucking rabbit holes. It's the videos on the right side of YouTube that end up sucking your soul for hours on end.

I click on the Pirates-Reds NLCS '79 game and see Tim Foli leading off for the Buccos. I was 8 then but remember Tim Foli.

1 homer and 65 RBIs. 1 homer. So you go and look to see who the toothpick hit his one and only homer against ...

... it was in the 150th game, opener of a September 19 doubleheader against the Phillies.

A solo shot in top-5 against starter Nino Espinosa to cut the deficit to 2-1.

Phils went up 6-1 but gave up 3 in the 8th and 5 in the 9th to lose 9-6.

I was hoping I'd find video of Foli's one and only homer of the year.

Instead you get a screenshot. Foli finished 1 for 6 on the day he hit his only homer. He finished his 1,696-game career with 25 homers.

Screen Shot 2017-10-18 at 2.35.03 PM.png

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

If there's a God, s/he'll crush the Astros if for no other reason than to bust Joe Buck's balls.

Dyno likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted