1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 college football coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 16, 2017.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Steak, My understanding is that the Big Twelve television rights packages keeps the schools together until 2023 or so. This is a long way down the road but do you think the Big Twelve survives past that date?

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The Big 12 wasn't far away from anarchy within the last year or 2.

Texas has been flirting with the Pac-12. If they could have got BYU on board, I'm thinking they may have left.
    Same with Oklahoma with the SEC, and Kansas with the ACC.
    I have never understood the whole deal with West Virginia and the Big 12.
    It's like Bowlsby and the rest of his minions got piss drunk one night, put a map on the wall, spun him in circles with a dart in his hand, and wham.......they ended up with the Mountaineers.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

That's certainly the key date. The Big 12 is making more money right now than the ACC or Pac-12, in large part because it has fewer schools. But that will probably change after the ACC Network launches and if the PAC-12 ever gets its distribution deal straightened out (the PAC-12 Network is STILL not on DirecTV).

I still think we are headed for 4 Super Conferences and others picking at the Big 12's carcass would be the obvious scenario.

4. It was years ago, when WVU was looking for a place to land. The SEC was a consideration.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Not racism. History. West Virginia was founded because the western half of Virginia broke off and fought against the Confederacy. It was the only state to form by separating from a Confederate state, You know people still have long memories for stuff like that, especially in the deep South.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Well, it's an interesting theory, but it glosses over a number of facts, chief among them: 1) the number of Missourians (sp?) who fought for the Union were about 4X the number of those who fought for the Confederacy; and 2) Kentucky, which was a Union state during the Civil War, is a charter member of the SEC. Those Deep Southers (with long memories) doing the school-picking for the SEC sure do practice some ... selective ... selection.

franticscribe likes this.
  7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I also think that while the Big 12 is doing well now with television rights that is largely a result of fortuitous timing. I don't think it will last. They received a lot of money despite having the smallest geographic footprint. By 2023 the number of homes will have declined another 20 million or so.

8. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Butch Jones remains employed today so maybe they will just let him finish out the season? Bret Bielema appears like a near lock to join him when that time comes.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

10. HappyCurmudgeon

Summers seems like a case of a coach thinking he's smarter than the program he's at. Georgia Southern has won decades worth of games running their midline/option stuff. It was the program's identity and probably got them better players than they would have gotten otherwise because the kids liked their fit in that offense. Changing the identity of a successful program isn't always a good idea.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Cautionary tale here. For every Appalachian State, there will be at least one school that -- if you really got a valid lie detector -- would admit that moving up was a wretched idea. App has dominated in its conference and probably has no regrets. Others? Maybe not the same story.

12. HappyCurmudgeon

GSU went 9-3 and 9-4 in their first two years of FBS under Willie Fritz.

I think they just made a bad coaching hire.

Draft saved Draft deleted