1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Me, too'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 15, 2017.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Fixed that for you.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yes. I think they are all essentially mild plagiarizers.

3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Maybe, but it also seems like a profession and power dynamic where I'd be surprised if anyone makes it without having been subjected to something horrible at some point.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yep.

None of the outlets that ran this story did any reporting. They all rewrote the original story, not bothering to even put it in their own words.

A bottle of iced tea, and a bag of skittles.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think she's telling the truth.

But what kind of alleged victim of any crime would I not believe? My default is to believe women when they say they've been sexually assaulted. But my default is to believe most people most of the time.

What group of victims shouldn't I believe?

Journalism should be a reasonable check on emotions. It should be discerning and dispassionate and mete out empathy when it is true, like justice.

Dick Whitman, Buck and YankeeFan like this.
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

7. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Wow. Quite a reveal.

ADDED: Just did a quick read on Nassar, and I assume this means either Maroney is the Olympic medalist Jane Doe previously cited when he was arrested ... or there's another medalist victim.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

You are adding a lot of ... stuff.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You don’t think it’s a reasonably foreseeable risk to consider?

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

ex-wives

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Variety TV critic.

I feel like a lot of people will be dissatisfied with this:

I can’t name my attacker for legal reasons. But I won’t be silent any more. A television executive assaulted me, and the specific power dynamics of this industry aid and abet men like him.

The television executive who assaulted me was the boyfriend of someone I’d known in the industry for some time. I did not think the boyfriend of someone I knew would assault me. I did not think he would do it at an industry-adjacent event. I did not think he would make a sexually crude, harassing remark about me in front of dozens of people, which was extremely embarrassing.

I did not think that, a short time later, he would put his hands on me and say utterly disgusting things. I did not think he would come after me again, and then, when I’d moved away, grope me again, and hiss more even more crude, humiliating things into my ear. He came after me three times in total. He hunted me. The word predator works on so many levels.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It's pure speculation and it sounds like you are still trying to justify your initial claim that she accused somebody of a crime.

Draft saved Draft deleted