1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best miniseries ever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Is that the one with Jessica Biel? It's on my list.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

For about a year of my life I produced TV shows that were used as filler on miniseries DVD compilations -- 30 minute behind-the-scenes deals that explored every minor detail about our period pieces (a Billy Zane miniseries called Barabbas, and two Dark Ages tales called The Pillars of the Earth which starred a red-headed future Oscar winner no one had ever heard of before and its sequel, World Without End which starred Charlotte Riley before she married Tom Hardy) and that dreadful experience left me wanting to watch a miniseries about as often as a line cook at Domino's wants to eat pizza.

I point this out as a warning: Don't watch these three miniseries; they are all equally dreadful.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I tried to watch 'Pillars of the Earth' because I read the book.
    I don't think I made it through the first hour.

TigerVols likes this.
  4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It's worth sticking it out until Hayley Atwell's sex scene.

5. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I'll fight the person who laughs at this. V was glorious.

fossywriter8 likes this.
  6. martin fennell

martin fennell New Member

As everybody is sticking to stuff from from before the naughties.
    I'll go for
    Lonesome dove
    The Mahabharta (Peter Brook)
    Jesus of Nazareth
    Rich Man Poor Man.
    Anne of Green Gables with Meagan Fellowes.
    Although really Rich man poor man might be the only to come under the mini series heading.

I would like to see Wheels, The moneychangers, and QBVII. I did actually have it on a drive, but drive got damaged, and couldn't find it again.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I think Meryl Streep was in it as well.

8. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

The Holocaust, Roots, Shogun and Centennial are the ones I remember watching from my childhood. I love the history stuff.
    I later read the books, except for The Holocaust. I don't know if that was based on a book like the others were, but I could be wrong. Of course, there's enough source material for something like that, so a novel might not have been needed.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Yeah but Rachel Ward to my 11 year old eyes...

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The Albert Einstein miniseries - Genius.
    I wanted to like that. I was looking forward to it, but it was not good.
    I made it about halfway through. I was holding onto the remaining episodes, and I just deleted them the other day as I finally admitted that I had no interest in watching it.
    Not good.

11. albert777

albert777 Active Member

Of the mini-series I watched all or most of, Holocaust was the one that stands out. I believe Michael Moriarty played the Nazi dad who finally came to grips with his complicity in the tragedy. Centennial was another one I liked, especially the earlier episodes.

Never watched much of Roots, although the parts I did see were pretty riveting. I was in college at the time and just didn't have a lot of interest in anything on TV that didn't have people with numbers on their backs sweating profusely.

12. martin fennell

martin fennell New Member

I think that was called OZ.

Draft saved Draft deleted