1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 college football coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 16, 2017.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You would not find much liberalism in Mizzou's Greek system, which makes up about a third of the campus and controls an enormous share of campus social life.

Avoid those assholes and it's a nice place. But it's hard to avoid those assholes.

Liut and JakeandElwood like this.
  2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Let's stop with the Leach-to-Nebraska rumors. I know those folks want to win in Lincoln, but don't they have the reputation as the nicest fans in college football? I doubt they'd take to Leach, who just lit up his team with a couple of quotes most of the universe found wonderfully refreshing but the locals in Lincoln might find disturbing. Just doesn't seem like a fit to me.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

You know, it's weird, but when Nebraska stopped piss pounding every school within half a day's drive on a regular basis, their fans seemed to get a little less hospitable.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

What's Mike Bellotti up to these days? I heard ESPN podcast crew refer to him as a "former colleague" today. Has he left ESPN?
    Moos was the AD in Eugene for most of Bellotti's tenure there.
    All Moos has to do is make the right hire on the next football coach and raise cash for some new bells-and-whistles facility to replace one they probably built less than 20 years ago and his legacy is set.
    Frost will surely have as compelling a track record as a two-year head coach can have. Depends, I suppose, on whether they can get or if they want somebody who has recruited and coached an entire cycle of players.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

All of it, although I think more white students' parents - who went to Mizzou - not requiring their kids to be legacies at Mizzou in the aftermath.

It's changed that university for years and years to come.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Bellotti is 66 and happily retired with a yearly pension of over $500k from the state of Oregon. He's no longer listed as being with ESPN.

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

On Mizzou.

I didn't go there but have five family members who work for MU in various roles.

It's rough right now.

The university now has a scholarship for out-of-state alums who have kids interested in Mizzou to pay in-state tuition. MU is trying anything to get anyone to enroll.

The only factor where Mizzou is elite remains the journalism school. Those kids are like football players. They come in from all over the country, pretty much keep to themselves, compete against each other for airtime on KOMU and get the hell out of Columbia.

Mizzou doesn't have anything that you might call an outstanding quality. Not elite academically. Not s gorgeous setting. Social life is Greek-heavy. Athletics suck (except for one year in men's basketball with Porter).

The geography is also against it. Top students from St. Louis go north or east to college. Top students from Kansas City to west or south. Very few top students go to Columbia.

Twenty miles outside of Columbia, it's Road House with cell phones.

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Now that I think about it, I had a dormmate my freshman year from Columbia. A National Hispanic Scholar who obviously hit the bricks to head to Tallahassee. From what I recall, she didn't have much good to say about CoMo or MU. (My wife, a Missouri-bred MU J-school alum, begs to differ).

9. How so?

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It was pretty obvious he was already famous when he met her.

11. Yeah, I don't this is anywhere close to happening. Talk about putting a square peg into a round hole.

And I like Leach, but I think his star is falling. Wazzou is doing well - save that Cal beatdown - by Leach's style is ... I don't want to say gimmicky, but ... It's all about the O.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You don't buy the story Bielema tells of how she didn't know who he was for the first few months because he told her he was a history professor? I mean, if you can't find the romance in a relationship that starts over a Vegas blackjack table then you have no heart.

Draft saved Draft deleted