1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 college football coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I was going to reply "Kinda?", but swingline beat me to it. I remember watching the Mizzou basketball forums when Mike Anderson was hired, and the mods were deleting racist threads every ten minutes for a while there.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

First job offer in TV news was at the CBS satellite station in Hays. :)

Chef2 and Jake_Taylor like this.
  3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Missouri-Columbia is one of the enduring victims of Ferguson

4. Neutral Corner

I'm not certain what you mean by that, Dooley. Care to expand?

5. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

bo-best.jpg

"Hey fuckfaces, what's going on?"

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Enrollment is down by one-third in two years since the protests.

7. Neutral Corner

So is that white students staying away because of the football players protesting? White liberals reacting to the backlash? Blacks staying away because of the reaction?

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

From what I read, all of the above. I think they've let like 500 workers go and closed multiple dorms.

9. Neutral Corner

Everything I see and hear tells me that Missouri is more overtly racist than the Deep South. I have a friend from Alabama who teaches there and remains astounded at how bad it is. As I said above, as a UAB fan, when Mike Anderson was looking like taking the Mizzou job I started following their basketball forums, and some of the stuff that I saw posted after his name was out there but before the hire would get you flat banned off of boards here. The mods were absolutely playing Whack-a-Mole on racist threads.

I grew up in Georgia, and have lived in Texas and Alabama. I've seen and heard some racist stuff, and it was no-shit bad.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I rag on Columbia, but it's a pretty adequate college town. The rural areas around it and down into the Ozarks is, like you say, similar to the Deep South. St. Louis, to me, is similar to Boston in the way it has a lot of old working class neighborhoods where racism persists.

KC, I think the fact that so much of its culture and identity -- jazz, barbecue, baseball -- started in the black community, it helps race relations. But like anywhere, Kansas City isn't without its problems.

11. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

And Tech N9ne > Nelly.

/whitlock

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think a lot of whites, rural and suburban, thought the university and Pinkel were coddling protesters. Much of the white population has always had an uneasy relationship with the university and its perceived liberalism. Pinkel’s star was fading with his DUI and his dropping his wife for his secretary. Another SEC East title would have probably forestalled this drop, however.

Draft saved Draft deleted