1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ben Affleck committed sexual assault, didn't he? But no one will write that. Why not?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't think so. I've been on the lookout.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

But sexual assault can = rape. Groping can't equal rape. So when sexual assault is used it sounds more serious.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  3. Dick Whitman

Trump Lectures America On Values One Year After Being Caught Bragging About Assault | HuffPost

President Donald Trump on Friday lamented attacks on American “values” and vowed to protect religious groups in a speech given just over a year after a tape of him bragging about sexual assault went public. ...

This is the first time a sitting president has attended the event, which is sponsored by the Family Research Council, a prominent Christian lobbying group. Trump received widespread support from conservative Christians, especially white evangelicals, during the 2016 election― even in the face of his comments about groping women.

“I’m automatically attracted to beautiful women — I just start kissing them, it’s like a magnet,” Trump told Billy Bush of “Access Hollywood” in the now-infamous tape from 2004. “Grab them by the pussy.”

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I wish some outlet would say it so this dumpster fire can finally be put out

5. Dick Whitman

Yep. Word for word. They are trying to make Trump's actions sound as sinister as possible. They are essentially trying to equate it with rape.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

In a vacuum, yes. But the original reports were specific as to what he did. The audience quickly knew what had happened and there was no longer any reason to keep writing "grab them by the pussy" in the paper or saying it on TV.

7. Dick Whitman

Don't tell the Huffington Post!

8. Dick Whitman

Don't tell Anderson Cooper!

Anderson Cooper told Trump ‘That is sexual assault.’ The Justice Department agrees.

“You described kissing women without their consent, grabbing their genitals. That is sexual assault," Cooper said. "You bragged that you have sexually assaulted women. Do you understand that?”

9. Dick Whitman

Don't tell Time Magazine!

Donald Trump's 'P---y' Comment Is the Root of Sexual Violence

Donald Trump, a candidate whose propensity for offensive absurdity seems endless, may have finally crossed the line when he bragged about sexually assaulting women. ... Trump already has a woman problem, although as the race has worn on and more conservative female voters have come around to him, it’s not as pronounced as it once was. His latest comments could—should—change that. What Trump describes isn’t just boorish behavior, it’s potentially a crime. In 2005, Trump was caught on tape talking with the Today Show’s Billy Bush (at the time, Bush was at Access Hollywood), and Trump brags that because he’s famous, he could do whatever he wanted to women, and was able to “grab them by the pussy” at his leisure.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Not when they always preface it with what he actually said.

YOU are the one trying to equate it with rape.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

You made my point for me- the question isn't "why won't the media say Affleck committed sexual assault?" it's "why didn't the media solely use more specific language to describe what the President did?"

12. Dick Whitman

What is your point then? Why didn't they?

Draft saved Draft deleted