1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Me, too'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 15, 2017.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

"Nevertheless, he persisted."

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Well then she should have hit a few branches on her way down out of the ugly tree

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Creepier still that a guy gets his rocks off on pushing himself on someone who is not interested. Some people's wiring is all fucked up

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Those are the situations where I think women might respond with a "Me Too," but the guy might have no clue that they did something wrong. There is a cumulative effect in the situation you are talking about. There is nothing wrong with approaching someone and expressing an interest, but I'm sure it can seem invasive if that person has been approached by many, many others and often in ways that are rude or inappropriate.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

As have many others who won't say it out loud, lest they be shamed for sexism.

For more than a few men, it's not worth the potential of being accused or suspected of something. Men generally have persecution/inferiority complexes and trust issues - see almost all of TS Eliot's poems - and this climate makes them think "I've probably committed harassment/assault 12 times and not even known it." If men tend to live in mortal fear of rejection - and they do - imagine the fear that comes with rejection + being seen as a predator. One FB post, and your circle of friends, your job, all of it, can be...poof.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

In all fairness, it’s probably usually meant as “I really liked her and we were friends and she finally decided to give me a chance and accept a date.” I’ve heard similar accounts of female persistence, and sometimes it’s persistence to overcome the other’s shyness. I am sure there are times when there’s a power dynamic that it’s not the “awww” form of the story, or times when the guy asks well beyond the point “no” is going to be the only answer. I’m just saying it’s not automatically one way or the other

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Read McCullough's bio of Harry Truman ... Truman persisted for years before Bess, far above him in station but "marked" by her father's suicide, stunned him by saying yes to his standing proposal.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

LOL.

The, "She wanted it!" defense.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

You are responding to an imaginary point

Riptide likes this.
  10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

When I was a young guy in newspapers, my superior officer, a guy about 50, and I were having a conversation at my desk with another superior officer, a woman about 50, about a production schedule for an upcoming print project. When I asked this woman superior officer, who tipped the charts at about 450 pounds, if she was gonna have her stuff to me by the looming deadline, she LOLed and said, not quietly: "No, but I'll sit on your face and you can guess my weight!"

I didn't do anything except stammer out, "No, that's OK," but there must have been some rumblings behind the scenes, because a couple of days later I got called into a closed-door meeting in HR so the woman could apologize to me in front of HR managers and my boss and also give me a written copy of her apology, should I decide to frame it and hang it on my wall.

Nothing near the crap women go through. But a funny and disturbing story to this day.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Hell, a solid 78 pct. of romantic comedies use some form of this for a plot.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted