1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cam Newton thinks female reporter talking routes is 'funny'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MeanGreenATO, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Blerg. My bad.

2. BrendaStarr

BrendaStarr Member

Reading male journalists' perspectives on this situation has certainly been interesting.

I feel like a lot of people, inside and outside the industry, would be surprised by how frequently these kinds of things happen to female sports reporters. A little disappointing to see it's involving athletes from the millennial generation where you'd hope these types of views would have progressed at this point.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

BrendaStarr likes this.
  4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The leading lights of the industry have been silent on that piece of the discussion. And Rick Maese should definitely be better than to say she "appeared to make light of racist humor and casually used the n-word."

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

So let's unpack this, because I'm actually not sure if saying "she did a racist tweet or two" is right. (Might be fair, but I genuinely don't know if it's correct/accurate.)

This one about Dale Earnhardt, I'm asking this sincerely because I don't know, is that a rap lyric? It's some parody account (according to the Observer story) and it looks like she manualy RT it before Twitter had a RT function.

I genuinely don't know what the think here. If I say "I love the Kayne and Jay Z song 'N---- in Paris'" did I do a RACIST tweet? Am I a racist? I just said I *liked* the song. How am I expressing my racial superiority here?

I assume there is some supposed sarcasm in the ones about her dad. Like she's rolling her eyes in generational disapproval as he makes derogatory comments about Navajos or something. Is anyone really thinking that her saying "Racist comments the whole way home; he's the best" that she's really sincerely like "Yay! I love racism! I'm really happy about his!"

Eh.

We just went through a whole election cycle where tons and TONS of people said "You can't call people racist because you don't know what's in their hearts."

I really don't think I'd die on the "she's not a racist!" hill. But I don't know that calling them "racist tweets" is accurate either. Certainly she did make light of her dad's racism, which is why it's phrased that way.

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. LongTimeListener

For one, it's a pretty clear sign that she thinks racism is cool and funny as long as you know the person and know he's only joking. I suspect quite a few of Rodrigue's supporters and fellow scribes would say, heck no, she isn't racist, she has even stood up for the protests! I don't think many people of color would be so forgiving. So, in preaching about Cam's choice of words, there's a serious and obvious double standard.

For another ... do we have a ban on that word coming from white people, or not?

It's hard out here for an SJW.

FileNotFound and Tweener like this.
  8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

9. LongTimeListener

She has tweeted once in about 36 hours. That appears to be a very unusual slowdown for her.

10. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

I doubt the comments were made in the locker room as the Q City Metro column claims.

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

She may be watching tape of Funchess.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Really, though, I don't think that's what DD is suggesting at all. I believe he's saying that she disapproved of her father's racist comments and said "he's the best" in a sarcastic sense.

Draft saved Draft deleted