1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Raycom, CNHI announce merger

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Raycom Media, CNHI announce merger

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Isn't this a bit like the time Hitler and Mussolini teamed up?

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The two companies are both owned by the Alabama retirement fund and headquartered in the same building. I think the idea the article expressed that this is to combine administrative overhead is true. Evidently Raycom has a centralized vido production facility and they will will try to push video through the newspaper websites. I think this is basically no big deal.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Raycom is a so-so company in the TV world. Not the gold standard - that's Hearst. Not the worst - that's Sinclair and Nexstar.

5. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

How centralized are the CNHI? It seems to becoming problematic to sell newspapers individually anymore because operations have been merged. The difficulties of separating operations was reported to be a reason the sale of the LA Times took so long. I also read that Austin and Palm Beach were sold to the same buyer rather because of the problems in separating the operations.

I wonder how many of the operations of the mostly small CNHI papers can be separated or if the chain will have to be sold as a unit. If they have to be sold en mass then advantage Gatehouse.

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Frim what I’ve heard of CNHI over the years, GateHouse might actually be a step up.

8. JimmyHoward33

I think cnhi has regionalized deisgn now so in theory you could sell those in clusters to different groups....if there are enough takers.

I wonder what chance if any they could spin off and self sustain like pre-Raycom or if subsiding to a Gatehouse or someone else is inevitable

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The Mass. AG should take a nice, hard look if GateHouse wants to buy those Boston area papers.

10. JimmyHoward33

For over saturating or am I missing something else obvious? Drawing a blank

11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

What the f@@@ happened? Raycom and CNHI are going to have spent more on attorneys, bankers, etc. than Raycom paid
    Unless the NY AG does something first or the Cambridge liberal set starts throwing a fit, the Mass AG won't do shit.

12. Gatehouse has several small papers in WVa and so does CNHI, I can see it working there, but probably resulting in an even more centralized desk and reduction of positions.

Draft saved Draft deleted