1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Wear an armband or some unapproved socks or shoes and let the NFL fine you. Leave the anthem alone.

What gets me about protests that touch a third rail like the anthem is that it winds up hurting your cause by being too divisive. Turns too many possible supporters OFF and into downright opposition.

Kaep should have only done it once and then used that attention wisely, then morphed his protest into using some other symbol like a black armband, and got others to join in doing that.

2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

He's fantastic. I can only imagine how many networks have tried to poach him over the years.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  3. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I find it interesting that Muhammad Ali's protest against the Vietnam War was very much viewed to be divisive then. As was John Carlos and Tommie Smith's protest during the Olympics.

Both are looked upon very favorably now. I expect Kaepernick will be viewed similarly.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    Deskgrunt50 and HanSenSE like this.
  4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I agree. Shep Smith did great work during Katrina.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

You might be right on this. But the counterpoint is that it wouldn't have been enough. Major change only happens with major (peaceful) disruption.

Nothing worth fighting for is ever easy. To have a national movement (if this becomes one) requires touching the third rail.

It's a matter of getting people to understand this isn't about disrespecting the troops and flag, but explaining that it's about inequality. The American dream is about what our ideals are. It's not a flag or the military. People need to understand the flag more than just military might and those who gave the ultimate sacrifice. It's about all Americans getting the same fair treatment. That's what they fight for.

Trump is making this about himself (as expected) and perverting the actual meaning of the protest.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    HanSenSE likes this.
  7. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

And of course people are falling for it hook, line and sinker.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

And ... we're divided again. Thanks, social media.

The only thought I have is that I want someone to provide concrete proof of how these protests disrespect the military. And if they can't, the 'Murica warriors can just take the military completely out of the equation.

Damn people don't even know what they're railing against.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed, at best, this was yet another tone deaf response by Trump.

10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Whatever way they can not see it and ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist.

12. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

He was captured. He had it coming.

Webster likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.