1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many meals a week do you eat out?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Sep 25, 2017.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Probably once every other week, although sometimes couple times a week. Wife will go out for lunch couple times a week. I bring food to work every day and like it that way.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Does having Seamless bring it to my door count as eating out?

3. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Foodsby, baby. Ordered through it today for delivery at the office. For the record, I'm counting anything I don't personally prepare as eating out.

4. 5 days a week for lunch ... just me.
    Every other weekend Saturday night or Sunday lunch with the family.

I eat out for lunch almost everyday, it's one of my few extras.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

I eat out pretty much all the time (don't really eat breakfast). If you're single and you eat out sensibly, and don't buy food at the grocery store that you don't eat, then I've found eating out isn't really any more expensive than cooking.

6. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Two or three times a month. If that.

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Huh? Do you eat at restaurants and not leave a tip? Not sure how it's possible to eat out and have it cheaper than the grocery store, unless you're saying eat at McDonalds or Taco Bell vs groceries at Whole Foods.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

That's the one thing that changed with my second career. I used to eat out maybe twice a day, even it was quickie, convenience-store stuff.

Now, I usually don't eat a full meal until I get home for supper. I go for a drive on my lunch break and just grab a snack from the food pantry at work. There are plenty of good food-truck/restaurant options within a walk of work, but I'd rather just roll the windows down and unwind for an hour.

It may not be the healthiest option, but supper sure tastes good at the end of the day.

Might have spent $100 a week before. It's more like $40 now, which usually includes a good meal on Friday or Saturday.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

McDonald's (I'll assume its is close to as cheaply as you can eat out) operates with net margins that are close to 20 percent. The typical non-gourmet supermarket has net margins in the 1 to 2 percent range (it is a crummy business!). Even with the wholesale prices that McDonald's pays for it's food, there is a very healthy markup built into it relatively to the retail prices you'd pay for the same kinds of ingredients. McDonald's has ridiculous margins, but you get the idea.

Anyhow, we rarely eat out. But we eat amazingly. We cook a lot on weekends and prepare things in advance so we always have a ton of things with variety ready to go. We keep a ton of fresh fruit and veggies around, too. It's not meant to be a budgetary thing, but I am certain it keeps more money in our pockets. We just prefer to eat fresh, whole foods (from farmer's markets when possible), and we like to cook our own things. Ms. Ragu grew up eating farm to table, and food is a big deal to her. I like it, because I know what went into my meals and how it was prepared, and our stuff just tastes better to me now.

To answer the thread question, I'd say we average 4 or 5 meals out a month (if that) -- which is way down from where I once was. Just on pizza slices alone (my weakness in life), I was doing at least twice that a decade ago. Now, I make my own pizzas -- everything from scratch (I have even made the cheese from raw milk, but that isn't common for me). Half of what we eat out we carry out, too. ... We split time between two cities and we have favorite falafel places in each city. Once every two weeks or so, we do "falafel date night," which in the summer means a loaded falafel sandwich, which we carry to the park and eat outside.

10. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I eat lunch out every work day, but that's because I'm on a campus, and faculty/staff can eat there for about $3. That just comes out of my check, so I never have to pay cash. And the kids like coming to campus for dinner, so we do that once a week or so. And then we'll go out for a real dinner usually once a week. Mrs. Flip Wilson is a chef, so we eat well when we eat at home.

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

We probably average twice a month, and that's either our Mexican place or our pizza place. With kids 8 and 3, fast sit-down is always preferred. My wife and I eat date-night dinner out about once per quarter, and she always wants to come home basically as soon as the meal is over.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Once a week we eat dinner out. Maybe twice. And often on Friday nights we'll do take-out pizza from our local (very good) joint. Otherwise, Alice and I both enjoy cooking and even food shopping, so we eat in.

Draft saved Draft deleted