1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 3 NFL: Namath vs. Unitas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by QYFW, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It was either the worst showboating I've ever seen or he already thought he scored. There's really no in-between. He practicslly stopped dead at the 2-yard line. Just stopped, like he'd heard a whistle. It looked like it does when a guy is running back a strip sack or incomplete pass and there are whistles being blown all over the place and he finally hears.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed, and the bad snap wasn't his fault. In fact, there were a few bad shotgun snaps, which makes sense because they lost their starting center early in the game.

That said, Glennon wasn't good. He barely threw the ball and mostly completed short stuff, yet he still managed to throw one interception and another that should have been picked off.

3. Bob Costas made some great points this morning in a 2-minute segment on CNN, concerning the NFL and the Anthem.
    I think he's dead on.

4. Dick Whitman

It's a moot point, but in the Bears-Steelers, was there ever any clarification on why the initial Bears touchdown was called back to the 37 (as called on the field) upon review? It didn't look to me like he stepped out of bounds at the 37 on the replay, though I can see where they may have thought it wasn't quite indisputable enough to overturn. The alternative reason for upholding would be that once they blew the whistle, some of the Steelers stopped playing, so they had to call it back to the 37. (Though why have the replay review then?)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  5. outofplace

I thought it was ruled out at the 37 all along and the review upheld the call. You couldn't hear the whistle on the replay, but you could clearly see the official waving his arms on the sideline. I don't think they could have overturned it because the whistle was blown.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

The guys on The Ticket in Detroit mentioned that the NFL should go to a clock with tenths of seconds on it. According to one of the guys, the Lions would have had at least a few tenths of seconds left in the game had the clock been checked and it would have been a dead ball spot, so the Lions would have had one more play.
    Not sure if he was right, but it does bring up a good point. Why doesn't the NFL have tenths on the clock like the NBA and NHL?

sgreenwell likes this.
  7. Dick Whitman

If it said 0:10 on the game clock, doesn't that mean that there was actually 0:09.x left? When it reads 0:01, that means there is less than one second left, not 0:01.x.

Also, weren't there 8 seconds left?

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't think that was an issue yesterday anyway. When refs initially ruled a touchdown, the play-by-play said :08.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Here's how mental my ex-wife can be. She knows I'm going to Pittsburgh to see the Steelers in two weeks and she just threatened to not watch my daughter on that Friday, per a previous agreement bc it's already her weekend to watch our kid, because players didn't stand for the national anthem. People have lost their fucking minds.

10. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

There are "apparently" stills showing the time clock at 0:11 when Tate caught the ball, hence the conspiracy theories being dragged out again that the league is out to screw the Loins.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

What else would you screw if not loins?

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  12. outofplace

You should find one of the shots with Villanueva in the foreground and the entire team standing behind him in the shadows.

Draft saved Draft deleted